Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
More for Less Racer
20,940 Posts
Any engine swap is a plus for you, a base model '81 Camaro has no real intrinsic value if stock. Might be a different story with a stock Z28, but I feel an LS1 swap into your car likely doubles or maybe triples the value of a base option car, especially if you modernize the suspension to go along with the engine.

Just my opinion, by the way, others may disagree.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
The best place for a 267 is the junk yard. These engines had tiny bores and a long stroke, the stroke was the same as a 305 and 350. The direct swap for you would be a generation 1 small block, or a Vortec 350. This way you wouldn`t have to swap out motor mounts and everything else would be a bolt in simple swap. When you get into LS engines you have to deal with mount changes, computers if you plan to keep the injection, cross member relocation and reverse flow cooling that won`t work with your current radiator. You do the LS swap it`ll be unique, but it`ll cost $$.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
BTW, that platform will also take a Pontiac engine (think Firebird) using junk yard parts.

My '81 Camaro base model (229 V6) had 11 different GM engines in it while I owned it- including a BBC and a 455 Pontiac. They all fit w/o drama.

The 267 Camaro base is not a "collectible" per se- but the 2nd. gen F-bodies are becoming scarce. The '78-'81 Camaro's are the choice of the bunch along w/the (more desirable) '70-'73's IMHO.

If you have the desire and room, swap out the engine and store all the original OEM 267-related parts- especially the computer and emissions gear. If this gear has already been gutted from your car, it will have no extra value as a survivor, anyway.

·
Registered
762 Posts
LS1 engines get a bit expensive just because of their name, and not that many were made. Look into truck engines, same family of engines, just as good engines, but more choice (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2 litres), and easier to find (they are in all Chevy trucks for many years now), and cheaper!
Check out the Ls1tech.com forum, those engines into 2nd generation Camaro has been done a lot, everything is available!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
wave1957 said:
LS1 engines get a bit expensive just because of their name, and not that many were made. Look into truck engines, same family of engines, just as good engines, but more choice (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2 litres), and easier to find (they are in all Chevy trucks for many years now), and cheaper!
Check out the Ls1tech.com forum, those engines into 2nd generation Camaro has been done a lot, everything is available!
arent the 6.0 and 6.2 aluminum blocks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.