Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided I didn't want to use up my 350 4-bolt main in a "driver" motor for my truck so I drug an old 2-bolt 350 out of the corner. Block needs a clean up bore and the crank a good polishing but they're otherwise very good. However, somewhere in the moves I made between my past life and this one the connecting rods "evaporated". A friend is giving me a '79 267 V-8 that's disassembled. Those rods should be the same as a std. 350 rod as far as offset and side clearance shouldn't they? I know they're 5.7 center to center but wasn't sure if they were odd otherwise because of the 267's tiny bore. Would they be OK for a cruiser/daily driver that will never see the high side of 5200 RPM? Thanks.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
As long as they are round and straight.

You might consider a replacement rod reconed for $100 as a better way out.

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnsongrass1 said:
As long as they are round and straight.

You might consider a replacement rod reconed for $100 as a better way out.
Haven't ruled that out but I'm trying to do this as "low buck" as possible,. I also have a set of powdered metal rods in a '96 5.7 I could rob but I haven't completely ruled out using them in my 383 although I suppose I could get better rods for it when the time comes......... The 267 was a good running motor, he just replaced it with a built 305 HO, he was moving back from down South and wanted to keep the motor but didn't have a way to lift it so he disassembled it to make it easier to load. He decided after several years he wasn't going to do anything with so told me I can have it. Not really good for much to me except the rods but free is free. ;) Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The 267/305 rods were lj 5.7s but they were thinner in the beams. Even if strength isn't an issue it will still take some balancing as they are clearly lighter. I remember Hot Rod mag doing a build up of a 302 'stang and a 305 Camaro in 82 or 83, they got the 305 into the 12s for $1500 but it grenaded and when you saw photo's of 305 vs 350 pistons and rods you saw why.

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IanRiordan said:
The 267/305 rods were lj 5.7s but they were thinner in the beams. Even if strength isn't an issue it will still take some balancing as they are clearly lighter.

I was thinking that but wasn't sure, thanks for the confirmation. The refurbs are looking cheaper all the time. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts