Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 27 Roadster that has a straight front end. I guess. Anyway, my roadster sits on the ground. It rides okay on good pavement, but doesn't take bumps or bad pavement very good. I sort of bounces the front tires when hitting a bump.. Caster/camber in tolerance and wheels are balanced. It rides so rough when I hit a bump I'm afraid to take it on the freeway. Tire pressure is lower that I want, it did help, but I am not happy with the ride quality. I forgot to mention straight rear too... 8.8 with disc brakes. Can anyone recommend a way to make this car ride better? I like this car, but its teeth rattling ride is no fun. Maybe all of these old cars are supposed to ride like this. If this is the case and nothing can be done to make it ride better, please just say so.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A straight axle does not have to ride rough. I drove a 25 T for many years and it rode pretty good for a 1700 pound car, but it's front and rear suspension was not exactly a common layout. I had quarter elliptic springs up front and air bags in the rear. Four-bar locators front and rear. Drove good at any speed to over 100 and didn't rattle your teeth in every bump.

As was said, we need pictures. There are many, many ways that a solid axle front suspension can be done and just as many ways to screw one up. This is the major problem with any kind of street rod. Depends on the builder and their understanding of what will work.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Details would help. A '27 is probably a little north of 2000 lbs. If the front end is a traditional transverse spring, modifying the spring is the first place I'd start as it is no cost. If the spring is 6 leaves & .250" thick leaves & 1.75" wide (5+ the main spring) that is too many. Reducing to 5 leaves certainly would help but this involves shortening each leaf to do it right. The equation for doing that is simple. You didn't mention what you had for shock absorbers. Knowing the back spring details would also help

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a '38 Ford front suspension on my '27 roadster. I removed a couple of leaves from the transverse spring (as mentioned above). I'm also running basic tube shocks. The ride isn't 'teeth rattling' but if you hit a pothole....you'll know it! Keep in mind, these cars are 95 years old and weren't originally designed for comfort!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts