Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been looking for a 27 T "telephone booth" for a while when this one came up on ebay. It was built in Iowa and purchased by a guy in Mississippi. He had it about a 1 & 1/2 years then it drowned in Hurricane Katrina, through the air filter. It sat in the weather before and after katrina.
The 350 had more water than oil in it. Rusted and frozen, I haven't taken the 350 Turbo tranny apart, but the oil doesn't show signs of water. The rest of the car: ford 9", mustang II front end, some kind of chevy steering column w/a mess of 4 universals connecting the rack & pinion.
There is a lot of potential but also a lot of work in the next year.
I'm seeking info on cleaning up the steering, & front end, it sits too high all the way around. Need tips on interior, bench seat recommends, etc.
Pictures to come as soon as I figure out how to attach.
pf

·
Administrator
18,639 Posts
I would think that the engine and tranny are toast...easy to replace. I would mostly be concerned with the wood structure of the body. How badly damaged was it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wood OK

There is no structural wood around the coupe body, only floor & trunk. The padded top leaked around the edges over the year & a half plus, outside & now there are new rust blisters around the body mid-section. I removed all of the insulation inside, as it was holding moisture and smelled moldy.
I'm thinking of building a cage/framework inside for strength, safety & anchors for seat belts etc. I'm a halfast welder but very good at grinding, so I'll probably tig a cage together.
I will either replace the 350 with another long block that my manifolds etc. can be re-used with or have existing re-built, with some performance enhancements. It has a eldebrock intake w/600 cfm performance carb.
I'm going to have to re-work the firewall to get the body to sit lower, as it is almost touching the bell housing now.
Like I said, a lot of work this year.
peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.