Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi in my intro i explained i was working on a 270 red ram hemi . well my problem is im having a hard time with adapting it to the transmission. before i posted a new thread, i went through and searched all of the bulletin's for an answer first. i didnt find what i was looking for so now i am asking anyone who might have an ideal on how to bolt this moter to a 904 transmission. i have right now a torqueflite 727 adaptor from hotheads but i am limitted to the distance i can drive to get a 727 be cuzz i am a marine and i already have 2 automatic 904 trans. if anyone has any idea how i can fix this. that would be awsome thanks for your time evertone

Attachments

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Well if you have a 904 trans adapter you're not going to bolt a 727 to it. It just won't work.

You basically have two choices. Find a 904 trans or send the adapter back to HotHeads and pick up an adaptor for a TH-350. You can find those anywhere. That's what I use on all my hemis.

This is a TH-350/400 adapter from Wilcap and works very well. HotHeads has basically the same thing and I'll be using one of them on the hemi in my deuce 3 window.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks centerline

Im sorry I ment I have a 727 adaptor but want to find one for the 904 trans. because I have 2 904's but I have not been able to find a 904 adaptor or another way of bolting the hemi and 904 together. Thanks for the help though it did give me some options. I was trying to keep all mopar but I guess sometimes you gotta adapt and overcome. But after visiting your website I just want you to know before I got to where im at with my hemi build I went from your website, and built my entire engine pretty much from your hemi build and what worked for you. its kinda weird when I clicked on your project folder and your website pops up that I first saw a year and half ago, but once again just wanna say thanks for your help with both the hemi build and tranny help

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Thanks for the complements.

Sure hope you find an adapter that works for you. Someone out there might make one but I've never heard of one. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
found one fellow's

Well it took a few days but found that 904 adaptor, a guy in newyork makes them and you wouldnt believe where i found it at, yulp on ebay he has a whole ebay store and just wanted to say thanks again centerline for telling me to keep lookin. also to you tech-inspector 1 i defently got that website marked. you know this forum is one of the best i have ever been on. i learned more in a week than i have in three years in the marine corps and i work on a lot of engines here.
i mean im new to the whole project thing and without your help from that thread about being organized centerline i dunno if i would still be chuggin along or not. i feel like this website is more encouragement than tech help its great and i would like to tell everyone on here that to, well i better go. nuts to turn and sparks to fly, thanks all once again. oh just one more thing anybody know how or where i should look for a 4bl intake for the 270 hemi, right now im planning on running the stock 2bl intake with the holly 500cfm and carb adaptor from hotheads but would love to find just a single 4bl for it. and does anybody know if ill be able to hook my kickdown cable up to the holly 500 cfm cuzz i heard since they were used mainly in jeeps and stuff for rock crawling that you cant i dunno, help anybody.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ok I'm a little confused here (which is not a big jump for me).

I have been under the impression for a long time that the 904 and 727 were a direct interchange as long as the bellhousing bolt pattern was the same (i.e. the 904/727 were both from a small block, 6 cylinder or Big Block) . While the majority of 904s were used in low HP applications i.e. passenger cars with 6 and SB engines, and the 727s were used primarily behind the BB cars there were 727s used behind small blocks and 6 cylinders in trucks and vans.

Basically if that assumption was correct the 904 should bolt to the Hemi with the 727 adaptor (as long as it's a SB 904 and not a 6 cyl unit). As I recall the "727" adaptor specifies the use of a SB 727.

I was always under the impression that the adaptors were not marketed for the 904 as it is a light duty unit and generally would not have a long life expectancy behind a high HP unit. With only 270 CI (even if it's Hemi) I wouldn't be too concerned about running behind the baby Dodge.

IF that is not correct could someone enlighten me as to the differences that would prevent a person from using a 904 with this adaptor.

As far as the kickdown at one point someone was building a cable operated unit that was a pretty easy hookup. With a little ingenuity (and a Chrysler Kick down stud on the carb) it shouldn't be too hard to build a rod type kickdown.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i know as of today that the 727 and the 904 transmission for sure are different. the back of all the small blocks are the same and can bolt to either transmission but where i found the difference was where the starter is located, they are in different locations on the bell housing of each transmission and when you put the adapter on the 904 it cover's up to much of the whole where the starter goes and so the starter will not fit

·
Registered
5 Posts
904-727

What you probably have is a slant-6, 904. I am a Mopar guru, and I can tell you that a small block 904 and a small block 727, have the SAME bolt patern, and the starter will bolt up in the same place.
What you will have to watch for is to make sure the torque converter is for a small block.

Centerline is wrong about not being able to bolt a 904 to a 727 adaptor, and vice versa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a 904 small block v8

i know its the v8 transmission because i pulled the v8 out of the truck to put the hemi in, there is not enough room for the starter to be even close to bolting on. and besides that half the bolts holes in the adapter wont even line up with the tranny

·
Registered
257 Posts
Glad you found an adaptor that will work for you. To me it's amasing what is now available for these engines compared to what was out there 15 years ago when I started getting into them.

While were on the subject of adaptors I thought I'd throw this out there for your consideration down the road. Have you considered converting the truck to a 4 speed? The reason I bring it up is that my next big project is going to be new shop truck. It's 76 Dodge "True Spirit" short bed step side (one of about 200) with a factory 440/Torqueflight. While I've elected to keep the factory drive train I did look into converting it to a passenger car 4 speed when I first picked it up which would be a fairly simple swap. Pedels and clutch linkage are still pretty readily available out here.

I did do a A833 (overdrive) 4 speed in the Hemi powered (354) 57 Plymouth I'm just finishing up. I got a little carried away with my cam selection so it's a bit down on bottom end torque (no offence but possibly a situation you may run into with the limited displacement of your 270).

I'm running a 4.10 Posi and the transmission has a 3.09 low gear, so even with the cam the car has decent manners driving around and with the overdrive 4th gear it is equivent to running a 3.00 rear gear with a non-overdrive tranny.

A friend of mine and I built the adaptor for the conversion, but as I recall adaptors for the MOPAR 4 speed swap are readily available.

If you enjoy shifting for yourself it's a pretty nice setup (and you just can't beat the looks of one of those big old pistol grip shifters).

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
dirttrackdemon said:
.............Centerline is wrong about not being able to bolt a 904 to a 727 adaptor, and vice versa.
You're quite correct. I forgot that there WAS a small block version of the 727. They're relatively hard to find now and were only available in high performance heavy duty small blocks (340 and 360 applications).

My bad.

The pic below shows the difference in small block and big block bolt patterns and it's easy to see why different adapters are needed, unless you are lucky enough to have the small block version of the 727.

Big block B/RB is on the left and the small block is on the right.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Actually as I said above, the SB 727 was common in the 70's trucks and vans. It usually where I go hunting for them and they are not hard to find (at least out here). As I also mentioned I have even come across 6 Cylinder 727 aslo in tucks and vans of that era.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Adaptor

My suggestion would be to mark the holes that don't line up, drill and tap them, and use a small starter. I believe the small starters were on all engines starting around 1990. As long as the end of the starter goes into the hole provided in the bellhousing, you should be able to bolt it up. If not I would think about cutting the spacer off where the starter mounts, install some spacers and install the starter. I know it sounds like jury rigging, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

I hope these ideas help,

Bill

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
1957plymouthhemi said:
Actually as I said above, the SB 727 was common in the 70's trucks and vans. It usually where I go hunting for them and they are not hard to find (at least out here). As I also mentioned I have even come across 6 Cylinder 727 aslo in tucks and vans of that era.

MOPAR stuff (of any kind) is darn hard to come by up here on the mountain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pictures of the problem

Hi all sorry its been a while getting back to you but I just had back surgery and was layed up for a while. But while I was layed up I managed to take some pics of the prblem and I put the 727 adaptor against the 904 transmission and this way you guru's can tell me if I have the right tranny or if it looks like its going to work or not. To me it looks real close and if I put the minni starter in there it just might work but right now im little sore so I havnt been able to do much plus i dont have a minni starter yet but here are the pics do you think it will work or does it look like it will need mods

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Parts swap

Hey i was just wondering if anyone knows what other baby hemis will swap parts with the 270 im trying to find other options as to my intake and carb setup of my 270 hemi and i know the 241 hemi will swap parts are there others that will exchange parts or somewhere i can look to mabe find this out.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
In 99% of all cases the only parts interchanges you'll find are within the same engine group. In other words Chrysler parts won't, for the most part, interchange with Dodge and DeSoto hemis and neither will DeSoto parts interchange with Dodge or Chrysler hemis etc. Within the same family ie: Dodge you will find that low deck parts interchange with low deck motors and high deck with high deck. There will also be some generic parts within the same family that will interchange as well.

That said there are some oddball parts that interchange between divisions but they are very few and far between. All my books are still packed or I could tell you what they are. Your best bet is to look at other Dodge hemis only. The main reason that Chryslers, Dodges, and DeSotos don't interchange is physically they are different sizes. Chrysler being the largest, DeSoto in the middle and Dodge hemis the smallest. Allowing these three devisions to all have their own version of the same design is one of the factors that killed the early hemi. It was very expensive to do business that way. In the end the bean counters won and Chrysler's 4 devisions all went to the same engines. Although it killed the early hemis it was in the long run a good thing when you really think about it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Centerlines right on the money as far as parts interchange, your pretty much stuck with doing the Doge Hemi parts, and primarly the 55 and older Dodge Hemi's at that as the 56 315 and 57 325 were raised deck engines and from what I see take a differnet style (wider) intake than will fit your 270.

I did a little looking around and pickens are definately a bit slim foy your engine. If you want a single 4 BBL, best bet is to keep looking on places like E Bay.

I do see that Hot Heads offers a Offenhauser Tri-Power Intake thats really not unreasonably priced. Personally Tri-Power setups are my favorite anyway so I am a bit bias.

If I was doing it..... I would modify the Hot Heads unit for 3 small base Rochester 2 BBL carbs (provided there's room of course.) pick up some carbs at swap meets and build a progressive linkage and go for it....but like I said I'm bias.

I pretty much covered the necessary carb mods on this post if your interested.

http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26886

A large base center would likley be too much for the center carb, so just a plain old rebuild on a small base carb would work there, then just do the mods to the end carbs like I recommend and down the road you go.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts