Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are putting a crane 280 .484 in my brothers 4x4 truck with a 283.
i think its too big, but how will it work?
its got a 4 speed.

we want a lope and alot of power, but we dont want the engine reving to 8000rpm to get there.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
If you want power, a 283 isn't going to do it, no matter what cam you have. You need cubic inches................at least 350

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my brother is paying for it and he doesnt want to get a new engine. we thought it was a 327 before we took it apart.

im trying to talk him into getting a smaller p.a.w. cam its under $45.

any cam suggestions?

i was thinking he needs a duel pattern cause he will use the exuast manafolds.

we want a rough\lopey idle with a real power increace

is this good? 214-224 .443 .465
will this give us alot more power over stock?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
a good running 283 will work great in a 4x4 where you need slower steady grunt,say with a 4 speed and low gears.i have a comp cams magnum 280 and also a wolverine blue/racer 280/290,,,214/224 @ .050,,,.443/.465 lift and use 1.6 roller rockers and the smaller cam sounds better and runs as well as the bigger one or it didbefore i changed from 2.73-3.73 gears and i won't get to see the difference til i get my motor back together and have a chance to try it out.i had just put it back together a short time ago and bought a new stock balancer and on the test drive it split down the keyway and trashed my crank snout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.