Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and old '63 Impala that has been in my family for years and the motor has gone kaput. It has the original 283 and powerglide and years of unleaded fuel and leaky seals has done a number on it. I really like the motor b/c it revs high and I want to rebuild it. I would however like to get more power out of it. I can't have every honda that pulls up beside me blow my doors off. I already know that I am going to have to bore the block 0.030" over and a friend suggested i put a stroker crank in it with new heads. Do you have any guidence?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Obviouslly you know a 63 Imp is a big heavy car, it takes torque to get that mass moving...if it were me Id use a 350 or larger.
As far as stroker cranks go, I dont believe much is available first off, secondly, that would ruin the quick revs 283s are known for.
If you choose to build the 283, bore it what it needs obviously(boring an engine isnt a big power maker), stay conervative on camshaft & carb selection.
a set of steeper gears & an overdrive tranny would help overcome the small displacement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts