Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing an old time build using a 289 block, D0OE heads (60cc 184/154 valves) and the cam specs are lift 444int./452exh. adv. dur 206int./221exh. on a 115 lobe separation. on top is a Weiand tunnel ram with a Holley 780 mech secondaries. The tranny is a C4 with a 260 6cyl torque converter.
All of thius is going in my 1400lb "T" Bucket. What do you think about this combination and does anybody have any idea of the HP/Torque or how I might find it.
DPI.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
DPIGraphics said:
I'm doing an old time build using a 289 block, D0OE heads (60cc 184/154 valves) and the cam specs are lift 444int./452exh. adv. dur 206int./221exh. on a 115 lobe separation. on top is a Weiand tunnel ram with a Holley 780 mech secondaries. The tranny is a C4 with a 260 6cyl torque converter.
All of thius is going in my 1400lb "T" Bucket. What do you think about this combination and does anybody have any idea of the HP/Torque or how I might find it.
DPI.
If you have a 302 crank put it in. It fits either 5 or 6 bolt blocks. Lots of shops will trade you a 302 crank to get a 289 crank for stock.

Watch the compression with those large D0OE 60+cc chamber heads. You need a pure flattop piston and good decking to get any compression. Hope for 9+. (These heads were the hot ticket years ago for more flow, but knocked the compression to 8.3 on the 289.)

The D0OE heads do flow about 12 more intake with 144cc intake ports (289/302/5.0 had 124) identical exhausts. A little minor clean up in the bowls/throat helps. Knock any bump out of the bottom of the exhaust port, be mindful of the contour, don't flatten it. Stock type rockers are OK.

Your duration seems wierd. 206/221 and 115 LSA. That almost sounds like the 206/212 .444 @ 115 LSA 5.0 fuelie roller cam. That idles smoothly, has good vacuum.

If I were doing it I would go 206 to 212 on 110 LSA for a light lope at 750 rpm and better midrange torque with the carb.

My guess is you will end up with a 600 vac secondary or 600 Edelbrock carb to get away from the mechanical secondaries. Two tiny carbs would look awesome.

Engine dyno with good headers you are looking at 265 hp. I base this on the 5.0 fuelie to carb change on dynos. (similar cam) Your heads are a bit better, cam about the same. If you have a 289, maybe a few less.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Talked to the engine shop today and they came up with different cam specs. How about these: lift 462I/470E dur 218I/224E 110 sep and .15 rockers? And I am using the 302 crank while boring it .030 over. The guys at the machine shop say it should between 9.5 to 9.8:1. Oh yeah it IS for saturday night cruzin!! otherwise I'd leave my twisted torker on it :cool:
DPI.

·
5,122 Posts
DPIGraphics said:
Talked to the engine shop today and they came up with different cam specs. How about these: lift 462I/470E dur 218I/224E 110 sep and .15 rockers? And I am using the 302 crank while boring it .030 over. The guys at the machine shop say it should between 9.5 to 9.8:1. Oh yeah it IS for saturday night cruzin!! otherwise I'd leave my twisted torker on it :cool:
DPI.
I recommend you stay with the 1.6 rocker ratio that Fords are designed for and cams are ground for. Reducing lift with shorter rockers is rarely a good idea.

Since you are milling your heads that much, be sure that they mill the intake side of the head so your intake manifold will fit. Any good shop will do this automaticly, but it doubles your milling cost. Either that or you are going to have to use thin intake gaskets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If they do some porting or just clean up on the heads, have them gasket match the exhausts. Clean up and match the intake with heads, too. They could do more extensive porting and you will see better power. Sounds "old school" cool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
67VertMustang said:
If they do some porting or just clean up on the heads, have them gasket match the exhausts. Clean up and match the intake with heads, too. They could do more extensive porting and you will see better power. Sounds "old school" cool.
They are going to gasket match the exahust. I don't know what they're going to do with the intake yet besides port matching the manifold. I know they are going to deck the block and heads to match but no more than that. DPI.

·
5,122 Posts
67VertMustang said:
Gasket matching exhaust ports is NEVER a good idea.

Never take any off the bottom side of a SBF exhaust port, besides the smog bump, and radius the short turn.

I have ported 1 or 2 in the last 40 years.

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
xntrik said:

Never take any off the bottom side of a SBF exhaust port, besides the smog bump, and radius the short turn.

yeah raise the roof don't ever lower the floor,you'll kill the flow :sweat:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xntrik said:

I'm sure that they will do it right. I'm not a head man myself but they are. They can get more HP out of a small block than I have ever seen. They build our 700+HP small block circle track motor. Thanks for the advice on it. DPI.

·
5,122 Posts
DPIGraphics said:
I'm sure that they will do it right. I'm not a head man myself but they are. They can get more HP out of a small block than I have ever seen. They build our 700+HP small block circle track motor. Thanks for the advice on it. DPI.

You have a 700+ hp normally aspirated gas fired SBF ?

Remember if you gouge out those SBF exhaust ports you will need to run a thick header adapter and special headers.

I'd like to hear your true flow numbers of your finished D0OE heads.

I've seen a couple guys that made excellent flow from them (for what they are)...... but they cracked real soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xntrik said:
You have a 700+ hp normally aspirated gas fired SBF ?

Remember if you gouge out those SBF exhaust ports you will need to run a thick header adapter and special headers.

I'd like to hear your true flow numbers of your finished D0OE heads.

I've seen a couple guys that made excellent flow from them (for what they are)...... but they cracked real soon.
our race motor is fuel injected on Methanol. The heads were changed from D0OE to E5AE. Don't know if that makes any difference. They seem to think that these will work real nice for me. DPI.

·
5,122 Posts
DPIGraphics said:
our race motor is fuel injected on Methanol. The heads were changed from D0OE to E5AE. Don't know if that makes any difference. They seem to think that these will work real nice for me. DPI.

So they took your 144cc intake runner heads,
substitued one of the worst 124cc heads there is........

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xntrik said:
So they took your 144cc intake runner heads,
substitued one of the worst 124cc heads there is........

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
the D0OE heads were destroyed :drool: :drool: when I blew up another motor. I had my head up my a-- and mixed the numbers up. DPI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
xntrik said:

Sorry, gasket match all but the bottom side. I forgot, but any competent machinist knows this. I think you hit water if you go grind on the bottom.
If you have the headers or exhuast manifolds to give them, they can do a better job in making sure they don't go too far when hogging it out.
You want the header opening to be larger than the port or the air hits a wall.

·
5,122 Posts
DPIGraphics said:
the D0OE heads were destroyed :drool: :drool: when I blew up another motor. I had my head up my a-- and mixed the numbers up. DPI.
D0OE are easy to come by. Better to start from there. Takes the same effort as the 85 heads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts