Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 302 to go in a 86 GT mustang. I don't have a pile of money laying around so I am trying to save as much as possible. I have a 302 that will not be stroked and I was woundering if I would benifet from a set of 289 heads with 1.94/160 valves installed. and some bascic porting and polishing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
323 Posts
289 heads will work but the ports are very small and wiil create a lot of compression,if I were doing it I would be looking for a set of 69 to 73 351 windsor heads they have good sized valves, bigger ports and 60cc chambers you will have to get special head bolts but are almost as good as GT40 heads on a 302(5.0)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by Skooter:
<strong>I am building a 302 to go in a 86 GT mustang. I don't have a pile of money laying around so I am trying to save as much as possible. I have a 302 that will not be stroked and I was woundering if I would benifet from a set of 289 heads with 1.94/160 valves installed. and some bascic porting and polishing. :rolleyes: </strong><hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by Skooter:
<strong>I am building a 302 to go in a 86 GT mustang. I don't have a pile of money laying around so I am trying to save as much as possible. I have a 302 that will not be stroked and I was woundering if I would benifet from a set of 289 heads with 1.94/160 valves installed. and some bascic porting and polishing. :rolleyes: </strong><hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by Lloyd Topping Jr:
[QB][/QB]<hr></blockquote>IF YOU ARE STRAPPED FOR MONEY TRY USING 66 - 289 HEADS. THEY HAVE SMALL CHAMBERS AND WORK REAL GOOD WITH THE BIGGER VALVES. ON SOME OF THE HEADS THERE IS A LUMP IN THE EXHAUST PORT THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO GRIND OUT. THIS IS WHERE THEY WERE GOING TO PUT IN THE AIR TUBE PASSAGE,BY GRINDING THAT LUMP OUT IT WILL GIVE YOU ABOUT 25 HORSE.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
If you're strapped for money the 289 heads should be avoided unless they have hardened seats already installed. By the time you have the seats and possible guide work done you could get a set of GT40P heads.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The cheapest way out is to find a set of late GT-40 or E7TE heads that are laying around a guy's garage after he has gone to aluminum. GT-40P would be nice (but requires special headers).

Check on e-bay and classifieds like this forum has.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a friend that put 289 heads, ported and polished, on a 351W that he was trying to get power out of. He had 10 to 1 compression flat top pistons, big cam. He had awful detonation due to it, keep in mind the cam was for bracket racing and bled off a lot of cylinder pressure. If you're running 9:1 compression and a street cam, I'd avoid the heads, however, if you have the cam to bleed off the compression, you could see some power, although you'd see more with GT-40 heads.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
<a href="http://www.stangnet.com" target="_blank">www.stangnet.com</a> has a good classified section with guys always wanting to unload their old stuff as they upgrade. I actually think the E7 heads would flow better than the earlier heads, you've got to remember there has been a bunch of developments in the 40 years since they were available and heads are one of the areas that received much of it.

[ April 22, 2003: Message edited by: woodz428 ]</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts