Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
29A Rochester bonnet problem

Maybe someone could answer something for me that just came up today, I got my 3x2 carb setup from vintage speed and the 3 scoops that I ordered must have been made for 97's, the side set screw's miss the short lip on my Rochester's so they put a small set screw lower on the front.
The problem is, I think because of the short lip on the Rochester the scoop could easily vibrate off. I was going to put another set screw on the other side but the carb has a notch on the lip, no place for it to seat. I would like to utilize the center screw by putting a bar across the scoop but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone already makes a such a devise. (by the way.. are the scoop supposed to face forward or back? I've seen them both ways) Lance

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
I'm an old hot rodder from the 50's, but I've never run these scoops. I too have seen them mounted both ways. I think the guys who ran them backwards were just concerned about bugs getting into the motor. Either that or rain. Another thought I had is to make some saw cuts from the bottom of the scoop all around the circumference of it and snug it to the carb with an aircraft-type hose clamp. Now, don't flame me, I'm just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scoops

Don't think even a hose clamp would work the lips just over an 1/8", not much to grab... I have a mill so I think I'll just bite the bullet and machine a bracket to utilize a center bolt. Thanks for the imput anyways. Lance
ps... Went to PAW's main store, lots of engines on display, many with scoop bonnets, and they all faced away from the wind, so I guess that's the way they should go.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the god old open mouth scoops which stand up on the carbs, your idea about making up cross bars and securing them by the side screws is a good one. Then you can access the center bolt and wingnut through the mouth of the scoops. Just be sure you make a nice screen to fit inside those babies to prevent nuts and bolts and junebugs and other road debris from dropping down your carbs throats. The screen looks real hotroddy if you paint it red, too!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The scoops came with a seperate very fine screen that scratched the red paint when I tried to install it, then I realized the paint could be scraped off with my fingernail...sooo I also have to remove the paint from all three(should be easy) prep the surface and repaint with something like epoxy or urethane, I like the idea of painting the screen, thanks Lance

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
29A said:
Don't think even a hose clamp would work the lips just over an 1/8", not much to grab... I have a mill so I think I'll just bite the bullet and machine a bracket to utilize a center bolt. Thanks for the imput anyways. Lance
ps... Went to PAW's main store, lots of engines on display, many with scoop bonnets, and they all faced away from the wind, so I guess that's the way they should go.
i think the reason for them being turned around is so the air don't want to rip them off,if you stick your hand out a window at 55 mph palm facing the the wind then turn it side ways your hand is not catching all that air.just like hood scoops if not mounted right they get ripped apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts