Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2K Aerosol epoxy, filler primers AND Urethane clears!!

First I was stoaked to find this product at NACE last week, second, I am disappointed it that it isn't their there web site so I can show you "in the flesh".

I found it at one of the first booths I walked into, from the folks at Medallion Refinish systems. I actually saw this technology at a number of booths including some of the big paint companies, but only with clear.

Medallion has it in the long standing, respectable name of Rubber seal. Part number RS-586 is an iso free 2k, 2K! then RS-587 is an epoxy (also 2K of course) primer. The RS-586 has a two day pot life and the 587 as a 4 day.

So over a weekend you could do a number of projects and get them in 2K primer from an aerosol without a compressor!

And then here is the RS-588 urethane clear, IN AN AEROSOL CAN!!!! Is this great news for the home hobbiest or what!!!

You could paint some basecoat with a "Preval" sprayer and then urethane clear it, again, without a compressor!

Is that cool or what!!

This can is a special can (natch) that has a compartment inside with the hardener in it. You take a "button" off the top of the can and put it in position on the bottom and press it in to break the compartment and release the hardener.

I was told this is a REAL quality two componant, insoluable product. I specifically asked if it would pass a "thinner test" where you rub a lacquer thinner soaked rag on the cured product without softening or rubbing off the product. They said emphatically, YES.

I will be ordering some from our Winzer rep (the only guy I know where I can buy it near here) and give you a review of it as soon as I can.

Keep checking or email them and ask about updating the web site at medallionrefinish.com

Brian

Edit... I should have went thru all my fliers from NACE before I posted......How about some custom paints in a 2K aerosol can? Check out more about this paint delivery system and some VERY cool custom products here.... http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/killercans_prodinfo.htm

3,214 Posts
I had heard about the part aerosol cans before. I would still question the quality of the paint job using them. The sprayers for aerosol cans, being as small as they are, would make it questionable to me as far as film build. Not necessarily a problem with the base, as you would have to keep spraying to get coverage, but the primer and clear would be questionable.

There would also be the price thing. I can't inagine what it would cost to paint a car with those fancy cans.

Aaron

·
The Penny Pincher
1,942 Posts
I can see this isn't of much use to most of us that paint everyday
and surely would be expensive.
But, for a person wanting to fix a spot on his own car and doesn't
have the equipment this may be just the ticket.
Or someone going to a car lot to fix a scratch or dent,
this would make you more mobile.
I'd be surprised though if there is enough of a market for it to
keep it going. But it is pretty neet! :pimp:

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aaron, I'm with you, it is a limited market and it is going to apply the product pretty thin being the delivery system is so limited. And you KNOW there will be some guy who paints his whole car and has a mil of clear over the base after spraying five hundred bucks in aerosol cans. :pain:

But IF (and I will find out) this epoxy or filler primer for instance IS insoluable and adheres well, what a boom for the home hobbiest without a compressor. He could do a panel at a time in plastic filler and get it into primer and block it (even if it takes a bunch of coats) and get it ready for the painter.

Or how about painting the dash and jambs in basecoat/clear prior to sending the car out for the painting of the outside. How about the epoxy on chassis parts to protect them after sandblasting.

I think there are a LOT of uses, but it sure as heck isn't going to replace having a compressor and a spray gun.

Brian

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Check out Alsa Killer Cans.

HOK at Wally World and some of this clear and your a kustom painter.
:mwink:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You mean you guys haven't been painting with aerosols? Here I thought I was using the latest equipment. I did a lot of painting down in the basement with spray bombs when I was young, and still use them often for parts of a model cars. Sure is convenient just to just grab a can and spray away inside where its warm without much of a spray cloud. go upstairs grab a snack and go back down five minutes later and put on another coat and not even have to worry about running a compressor. I still haven't found out how to pull a complete car inside though, LOL. If there are no iso's in this stuff, Is it safe for someone to spray inside? Could be nice if they could and get some small parts in primer inside. I don't see ever using one and sure ain't trading in my gun and compressor. Sometimes inside engine bays, if the can is small enough, It could be nice. If you don't have the engine out, It is tough sometimes maneuvering a touch up gun around in some spots with a hose attached.

·
Registered
318 Posts
MARTINSR said:
He could do a panel at a time in plastic filler and get it into primer and block it (even if it takes a bunch of coats) and get it ready for the painter.

Brian

I dont know how the 2k surfacer aerosol is.. however i do know that the sem and upol aerosal 1k primer surfacers build like crazy... 1 coat fills in normal rock chips.

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
Hey Senior, I'm sorry to say I was using Medalion at the last shop I worked at. Their products over-all were great. But, that spray-can clear was not so good. It had almost no gloss. I used it for color test panels and had to hurry to check the color before it dried. :( As for the spray-can primer, well, be very gentle with it. If you poor it on it will freak-out (pop and/or crack). I used it to spot prime a few times, had to dust a coat on, wait, dust another, etc. I also remember one time that in one of those low temp. and only have slow reducer in stock moments my base wrinkled up the primer. I hate to dis Medalion, because their other products were pretty darn good, especially for the price. It was really only their spray-can stuff that I didn't like. With that said, I'd still suggest the stuff to someone with-out the facilities, just be gentle with it.

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
kenseth17 said:
You mean you guys haven't been painting with aerosols? Here I thought I was using the latest equipment. I did a lot of painting down in the basement with spray bombs when I was young, and still use them often for parts of a model cars. Sure is convenient just to just grab a can and spray away inside where its warm without much of a spray cloud. go upstairs grab a snack and go back down five minutes later and put on another coat and not even have to worry about running a compressor. I still haven't found out how to pull a complete car inside though, LOL. If there are no iso's in this stuff, Is it safe for someone to spray inside? Could be nice if they could and get some small parts in primer inside. I don't see ever using one and sure ain't trading in my gun and compressor. Sometimes inside engine bays, if the can is small enough, It could be nice. If you don't have the engine out, It is tough sometimes maneuvering a touch up gun around in some spots with a hose attached.
Sure... ...yah.. that's it mom, I was painting in the basement. ... .... gold paint on my nose?? ... :spank:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts