Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
from what i understand the 4.3 is a 350 with back 2 cylinders off and the 3.8 is a 305 with back 2 cylinders cut off and 305 and 350 have the same stroke and the 3.8 and 4.3 have same stroke why wouldnt it work?

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Vortech 4.3 said:
no. they are completely different.

I think you are thinking of the Buick 3.8 aka 231, the Chevy "3.8" better known as the 229 shares a LOT with the 4.3 and they both in turn share a lot with the 305 and 350 they were spawned from.

Off course both "3.8" V-6's were used in Malibus and El Caminos but no way could you mistake a Buick 3.8 for a Chevy.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I thought,I'm not too concerened with pistons or heads,what I'm wondering is if Cam,intake,oil pan and valve covers will interchange,I see a lot more stuff (like in summit&jegs)listed for the 4.3.I'm still not sure which engine I have,just got it yesterday the guy I got it from said it came out of a El Camino,but didn't know what year.It supposedly had 60,000miles on it when it was replaced with a V8.I plan on pulling the heads and pan and refreshing whatever it needs,but if I can't get an aftertmarket cam&intake&valvecovers etc then I don't think I'll mess with it. The only legible numbers cast on the block are GM471594 I don't know what they mean there are other cast numbers but not legable these are on the back of the block between the head&where tranny bolts on. HELP!!!!!
Gary
PS It is a 90 degree block with the dist in the back

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
yragat said:
.Anybody got sugestions where to get speed parts?
Yes, they're called 4.3s. :D I wouldn't put much money into a 229 trying to make it go faster. Back in high school a kid had a 79 Malibu with that engine and it was the most pathetic thing I've ever driven. Especially compared to my 350 powered 78 Malibu. Needless to say, the kid was jealous. :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HA HA
Too late now that would be nice,but I didn't realize how scarce after mkt parts were for the 229(3.8).I did see edlebrock makes a 4 barrel intake for it havent found a cam yet.If I ever do put this engine in it wouldn't be for racing,just cruiseing,but I want it to at least sound and look like a hotrod

·
2,252 Posts
yragat said:
If I ever do put this engine in it wouldn't be for racing,just cruiseing,but I want it to at least sound and look like a hotrod
If you just want an economical cruiser I say go for it. The best performance mod you can make to a 229 is to put a 200-4R and a set of 3.73 gears behind it. That will give you the best bang for your buck and when you decide to swap in a V-8 later your drivetrain is ready. As for the V-6 I'd just put a 4 bbl. intake with a 390 or 450 Holley on it and put a good performance single exhaust on it and a "quiet" gear drive otherwise just rebuild it stock and sprinkle a little chrome on it. They sound "odd" ( to me at least ) with duals but there was a 4.3 S-10 around a couple years ago with a "performance" single exhaust system and it sounded really healthy. Not quite like a V-8 but sounded better than any street V-6 I had heard before.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the 200 4r an overdrive tranny? I know the 700 ris (I'll need OD the car has 4.88 gears) The 5 speed stick thats in it now has.I appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me OD.If I sound kind of dumb on some ussues its because I just retired and this is the first hotrod I've had since the 1960's.Before that I had several I appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me,This year I'll leave the 4 cyl datsun in and play with the V6.The datsun isn't exactly a slow poke,its bored ,bigger valves,hicompression head,pretty wild cam,header,and 390 holley pretty neat huh
thanks
Gary :D

·
2,252 Posts
Yes the 200-4R is an OD, 33% OD to be exact but heck, if you have a 5 speed and 4.88's you're way ahead of the game! Stoplight to stoplight that thing will be a blast, I'd stay off the expressway though. ;) :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hippie said:
If you just want an economical cruiser I say go for it. The best performance mod you can make to a 229 is to put a 200-4R and a set of 3.73 gears behind it. That will give you the best bang for your buck and when you decide to swap in a V-8 later your drivetrain is ready. As for the V-6 I'd just put a 4 bbl. intake with a 390 or 450 Holley on it and put a good performance single exhaust on it and a "quiet" gear drive otherwise just rebuild it stock and sprinkle a little chrome on it. They sound "odd" ( to me at least ) with duals but there was a 4.3 S-10 around a couple years ago with a "performance" single exhaust system and it sounded really healthy. Not quite like a V-8 but sounded better than any street V-6 I had heard before.
Why a gear drive?

·
Registered
1 Posts
229 Speed Parts

When you build a 229, you are polishing a turd - I know, I built one. Mine has the Edelbrock intake and a 500 cfm Edelbrock(Weber) carb. I extensively ported and polished the heads, port matched to the intake, put in flat top pistons and had a mild custom cam ground by Schneider Cams for the motor. The headers were custom made by a buddy of mine. Also recurved GM HEI distributor. It is hooked to a torque-gobbling 700-r4. The motor makes decent torque to 3000 rpm then falls flat on it's face. The heads on these motors do not flow at all. Do yourself a favor, build a sbc for 2/3 the cost and make twice the power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.