Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Rodders. My daughter's 1961 Galaxie has an issue with the overdrive. I've checked all the electrical pieces and parts - so, I think those are working as spec'd. My question is - how expensive will it be for me to rebuild the overdrive portion of the 3-speed - ballpark - and, is there anyone out there who can rebuild it for me or can put me in touch with a reputable builder, OR, does anyone have a good one close to zip code 37367??

Thanks in advance for all the good advice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that is an extensive listing of parts for the trans. My next step will be to get it out. Then, using all my skills and knowledge (HA HA or LOL, take your pick), I'll attempt to ascertain the extent of the problem.

Wish me luck. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Get a factory service manual for the car (or the approximate year of the gearbox assembly). Or, get a Motors, Haynes or Chiltons manual for the range of years necessary. I prefer Motors over Chiltons/Haynes, they're a little bit more indepth and tend to have more illustrations and clearer pictures. Get an original one, not a reprint/dvd. I try not to buy one that stops with the year I need, in case some running changes were made that year. For example to get 1961; Id buy a manual that covers say 1953-62. For Motors, this would be something around the 30th Edition seen here
Motor's Auto Repair Manual 30th Edition Hardcover 1967 Various Models 1959 1967 | eBay

·
Slow but willing learner
5,281 Posts
Hey fellow Rodders. My daughter's 1961 Galaxie has an issue with the overdrive. I've checked all the electrical pieces and parts - so, I think those are working as spec'd. My question is - how expensive will it be for me to rebuild the overdrive portion of the 3-speed - ballpark - and, is there anyone out there who can rebuild it for me or can put me in touch with a reputable builder, OR, does anyone have a good one close to zip code 37367??

Thanks in advance for all the good advice.
Lander's Transmission right here in Chattanooga (Ringold, Ga) works on nothing but manual transmissions and will work on OD's

John

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Man I haven't heard from Lander's in a long time. Last number I have for them is 706-891-9515. However; this is definitely something that you can handle. Worst case scenario, if you feel in over your head, you can take it to them and they can un-screw it for you. :D

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll see what Landers has to say after I get it out tonight. I have quite a bit of mechanical know how, so taking it apart (unscrewing it) would not be a problem. Fixing it might have to have some knowledge of internals, but we'll just have to see. Found a decent 390 to swap in for the 352, so that is also on the schedule. Dad's Garage is always open they say.

·
Registered
95 Posts
FWIW, I always find the factory service manuals much more detailed than a generic. The B-W trannies wer3e used in many other makes as well. Being behind a big block, yours is probably a T85. Ford also used the T85, albeit with different tranny gear ratios, in pickups as well. However all the overdrive internals are the same for most T85 variants. Only the output shaft lengths differ.

You said it doesn't work. Usually if the problem is mechanical and internal, terrible noises are present. If it freewheels but doesn't engage, how have you verified the solenoid is working? Have you confirmed the governor is going to ground at the cut-in speed? Sometimes it's as simple as the in-out cable coming adrift.

jack vines, who's running a T89 overdrive right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have verified that the solenoid is operating. And the governor since the solenoid is engaging. I heard some terrible noises coming from the trans right before it croaked. And, I verified the od linkage as well. All good things to suggest since we stand sometimes too close to the trees to see the forest kinda stuff. I'm finally going to pull it out Thursday.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,281 Posts
I have verified that the solenoid is operating. And the governor since the solenoid is engaging. I heard some terrible noises coming from the trans right before it croaked. And, I verified the od linkage as well. All good things to suggest since we stand sometimes too close to the trees to see the forest kinda stuff. I'm finally going to pull it out Thursday.
The only time I tore up an OD I was pulling a 1947 Harley pan head in a trailer behind my '49 Merc in OD. I started up a long grade and it made a hellatious noise. It turned out I had torn out the sun gear in tho OD. I suspect you may be running into a similar situation.

Good luck.

John

BTW. That was about 1974.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly what my deductions have indicated. Bummer. I have another one located, but can't get it until the weekend. I also have an offer for a RUG "D" transmission. The guy put it together wrong and reverse doesn't work in it. Supposed to have been completely rebuilt. I'll just have to pray to the hot rod gods to be kind to me. I would think that getting the sun gear replaced in the original will be $$$$. Bummer again.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Call this guy

Hoss' Gear Shop
(Keith Hoak)

He's outside of Pittsburgh PA. Phone is 723-423-6502.
He's a good guy and a straight shooter. Tell him you spoke with Nathan from Auto Gear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts