Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 30 over chevy 400 Long Block delivered today from a busy shop in Maine. It is very close to being a stock rebuilt except for a used Eagle crank and used Vortec Heads. Off the Pallet its the wrong color, metal filings in the water jackets, ok: no big deal.. But it didnt have an External balancer or the flex plate installed as we agreed on. Called the shop and asked whats the deal and they said the just recieved them and will send out to me today. ???? I mentioned that we discussed that the assembly would be balanced as a whole. He says that he has been building motors for 40 years and knows the weights. The 400 external balancer and the flexplate off the shelf is all I need! THis goes against everything I have read here, it should have been balanced as an assembly, right? When I mentioned heavy metels and mallory to be added or removed he didn't get it. We started to argue but I don't have the knowelege, so I cut it short. If he "knows the weights" will I be good installing the off the shelf plate and balancer?? Should I send this giant paperweigh back????? THis blows I need to get this in! What should I do?

·
Registered
650 Posts
It might be ok, or it might not. Did you get a balance tag with the motor?(if not, ask the guy why?)
If you run it and its not right, can you send it back?
Will the builder refund your money?

Filings in the water jackets indicate the motor wasnt cleaned after machining.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No sheet on balance, no part detail (I knew this though going in). He wants me to pay the shipping charges both ways now...............High volume 350 rebuilder, does them for 850 shipped. I'd split the shipping charge even though he didnt do as agreed upon, but both ways isnt happening. He's telling me I just don't want it, meanwhile my ride sits with this motor I have no cofindence in 10" away.

·
Registered
960 Posts
You don't give your location, but the rebuilder is in Maine, and there are shipping charges involved. Like others have said, it "may" be close to a factory balance, but the aftermarket crank is'nt "factory", and new comes with a "target" balance weight. Who knows how close things are. I believe you have been "crank-SHAFTED". Sorry, junior stocker.

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
Does your machinist even have a balancing machine?

A decent balancing machine costs appx $40,000.00. I doubt he even has one. I was trained how to use and operate the CWT 5000 by the inventor of the machine. http://cwtindustries.com/crankshaft balancer.htm

Crankshaft counterweights inserts, and rod large ends (rotating assembly) are 99% of the time heavier than the bobweight of your rod small end, piston, rings, and pin (reciprocating assembly). The bobweight is determined by the heaviest rod, piston, and pin. All the rods, pistons, and pins should be shaved down to the lightest rod, piston, and pin.

Your general hack will stop here and consider the motor balanced. So in actuality he has put your motor further out of balance.

To fix this, the crank has bobweights attached to it, to simulate the reciprocating assembly and spun on a balancing machine. This tells you were metal has to be added or subtracted from the rotating assembly to put it in balance with the reciprocating assembly.

On an externally balanced engine the balancer and ring gear (flywheel) are part of the rotating assembly and are necessary to be attached and on the machine for a proper balancing job.

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
eagle cranks suck

I hate seeing jobs come in with eagle cranks. They do use a target weight for their assemblies. But if you change any one part the crank needs to be rebalanced and the machinist has to work around predrilled holes. On top of that you usually have to add mallory to fix it. Now your crank is getting expensive. Scat does not use target weights. Their cranks have no pre-drilled holes. You can mix and match any parts. Eagle also changed from SRP pistons to Mahl pistons which are way lighter. To compensate for the weight they redesigned their cranks by moving the center counter weight 45 degrees. Now they have a warehouse full of cranks that are no use to them. If you buy a rotating assembly from them and do not have them balance it. They send you the old type crank and you pay your machinst a fortune to make it work. Sorry about high jacking your thread but this is stuff that customers should be aware of.

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
Screwed????????????

You are screwed,ONLY,if you allowed yourself to be. ive been preaching this for years....PAY ONLY BY CREDIT CARD...if you got screwed,let the credit card company fight them..SOMETHING not right??,DITTO,CREDIT CARD COMPANY.......i got tired of being the screwed,now,im the screwee,when things go bad..... :nono: :nono:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.