Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my rebuilt 1980 302 ford back together and in my shop manual it says that I have to slip the "crankshaft oil slinger" on the crankshaft extension and then put on the timing chain cover and dampener.
The only problem is I've never heard of a crankshaft oil slinger and I don't remember taking one off. I just came from Autozone and they've never heard of it either. Any help?
BTW, if anybody has it, it's on page 109 of "HPBooks How to rebuild small block ford engines by Tom Monroe"

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
It's a small stamped sheet metal piece that is shaped like a saucer with a hole large enough for the crank snout in the middle, it will also have aslot for the keywat. It goes in front of the lower timing gear with the lip facing forward to keep oil spray from hitting the seal directly. You probably removed it and have it installed,but the name is deceiveing... left over from the early days, it "slings" the oil away from the seal so it doesn't overload the seal and is less likely to leak. I don't have his small block book, but I do have his 351C-460 book and on page22 there is an exploded view, probably similar to one in the SB book. If you look at the nose of the crank it is the part just ahead of the timing chain and just behind the front cover in the picture.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
Look at the timing chain side of your cover, if it is flat, use the slinger. If the cover has a cast protrusion on the timing chain side, do not use the slinger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts