Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we picked a 302 that was running very strong and were just re-gasketing it and such for our 66 fairlane project but im curios to as to what year or info about the 302

the # are as follows

E5AE
C38

i was told it was from a mustang

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
302 ID

That is an 85 block, and be out of a Mustang. Does it have the origional intake on it? The 302's in the Mustangs in 85 had a factory aluminum 4 bbl intake, while the rest of the 302's had a cast iron 2 bbl intake or an aluminum 2 bbl intake depending on whether it had VVI or a carb on it. Just be real sure you dont have a 255 instead of a 302.
The only positive way to check is to measure the bore. The 255 has a 3.8 bore vs the 302's 4 inch bore.
The aluminum 4 bbl intake will have a number that should read something like RF-E5Ze,and will be on the back of the intake near the #4 runner.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we pulled the intake and yes it is a 4 barrel aluminum intake, this motor is roller to which is cool

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Congratulations

Congratulations! You have a first generation 5.0 version of the 302. 85 was the first year for the roller cam.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
what power?

Your engine was rated at 210 HP at the rear wheels, and you can easily make a 275-300 HP engine out of it,with just mild modifications.
Being you are dropping this engine into a heavy vehicle, I would concentrate on improving the lower and mid range power, and not so much on the peak HP, which when you make the necessary mods to improve the lower end power, the upper end will take care of itself.

After that its a matter of how much you want to put into it.

Cubic Dollars = Linier Horsepower; how fast do you want to go?

BTW, there are a lot of 302's out there on the street putting out 400-500 hp. A supercharger does wonders to an engine, even running the stock cam. With your stock compression and running 6-8 lb of boost, you could pick up 150 hp, and your lower end figures would go through the roof as well.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
A 255 Ford is easy to identify, the intake ports are smaller than a 302 and they are oval shaped instead of rectangular like a 302. Ford 255 engines are good for one thing, a boat anchor being the best.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
255 CID

I will defer that one to 1badmerc as I have never been inside a 255, nor do I really want to. I knew they were smaller but wasnt aware they were oval shaped.
Hmmmmmmmmm. Wonder how a 255 would do with conventional Winsor heads on it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Being you are dropping this engine into a heavy vehicle, I would concentrate on improving the lower and mid range power, and not so much on the peak HP, which when you make the necessary mods to improve the lower end power, the upper end will take care of itself.
The fairlane doesn't seem like a heavy car by any means. I got a '66 Fairlane 500XL weighing in 3053/3493 (min/max).

Still pretty light, i'd say anyways.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
car weight

My 66 Comet Capri (202 series body), weighed in at 3330, from the factory. That is a relatively heavy vehicle in terms of a 302 cubic engine.

The comet had a 4 bbl 289 in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've never seen a 255 that I can say of, but seeing 289s and 302, I would look for a 255 cast into the head somewhere. I've got a pair of C3 289 heads and they have "289" cast on the under side, I think. I know that some of the 352's had "352" cast into the lifter galley. Hope it helps ya. I've also got an 85 HO motor. Very nice motors, considering that they were factory and smog laden.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts

The 255 was only made for about 2-3 years in the mid 80's. Was a boat anchor as was mentioned earlier. werent that many of them made.
Definately not the old 260's from the early 60's.

85 Sierra latched onto an 85 Mustang 5.0 with roller cam and factory 4 bbl intake to put in his 66Fairlane. We already went through the numbers. Got that taken care of.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
One additional thing regarding 255s, the crank is cast hollow. They have the same stroke as the 302, but because of the light weight can cause a major imbalance in a 302, if inadvertently installed. I have seen a kit sold as a 302 kit (physically they swap) and cause a strange vibration in the car. It was a friend that had done the swap in his '80 T-bird beater and when he pulled it for me to inspect,it was obvious he had been sold the wrong one. It might make a neat basis for an Engine Masters build, small bore with a good 302 crank, but the block is as weak as the crank. Now, maybe sleeving a 302 down to a 3.8"( 255 was 3.68") 260 bore with a 347 stroker crank.....hmmmm.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Too close to a Bow Tie

That got me thinking and with the 3.8 bore and 3.4 stroke from a 347 kit, you come up with a 309. Definately would be a good little torquer motor.
Glad to find out the rest of the story on the 255. I dont think I want one. Do you know what the offbalance is for the 255 crank. Is it the same as for the 82 and up 302,at 52 oz., or did they build it with a 28 oz offweight.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
I'll look through some of my parts books,but I believe they retained the 302 flexplate/flywheel and harmonic balancer and took the weight out of the crank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts