Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 170 with automatic in a 61 falcon ranchero, and it's "wore slap out".. A guy wants to sell me a 1982 or so 302, which he says will drop right in. I will have to put a carburetor on it, it's Fuel Injection

Is this going to work?.. a lot cheaper than rebuilding the 170.. thanks..

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
it will work, but I like the Ford I6's, you should find a late model 1970-1978 or so 200 I6, rebuild and turbocharge it. there not real expensive to rebuild. I'm currently doing a 200 I6 Turbo/ EFI build up, and I'm going to use forged pistions and port the stock head a little along with some roller rockers. you can gain what you want to make your Falcon move with the aftermarket parts at www.classicinlines.com there is even going to be an aluminum head released here in a month or so, but there is also www.cliffordperformance.net that has some stuff.

see with a V8, you need to use an intermediat mount, new shocks, spindles, suspension for a '63 V8 ranchero, you will likely need a donor car, also the rear end has to be a 8" at least and you need a V8 trans, so dollar for dollar, building a 6 that will bolt in would be cheaper to get the same power that a '82 302 puts out which is like 180 HP. with a 200 Ci turbo motor 200 hp is an easy goal. I'm looking at 250-300 HP at the flywheel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well you talked me out of the V-8 .. I like sixes myself, and don't plan to go fast... I want to use this for what it was made, utility and looking cool... I think white with very pale purple flames, nice looking steelies. I'll check out the links you sent.. Thanks..

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,772 Posts
A late model 250 should bolt in also. It's a tall deck 200. The old Ford 240 and the 300 are built on a different block (the same for those two though) and won't bolt in. If you have the old two speed auto trans see if you can find a donor car and get a three speed auto. Early 80s square body T-birds had the 250s (the small Fairmont based ones).

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
wishnevsky said:
well you talked me out of the V-8 .. I like sixes myself, and don't plan to go fast... I want to use this for what it was made, utility and looking cool... I think white with very pale purple flames, nice looking steelies. I'll check out the links you sent.. Thanks..
if ya need any Ford 6 specific go fast help, www.fordsix.com/forums has a lot of info on modifications and such. I also post there. the site owner/ administrator is also the owner of Classic Inlines, so it's easy to get answers to questions about the parts he sells.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
250 has a longer stroke, it is also a taller deck too. they will bolt into 144-200 mount but 250 mounts sit lower, so the engine would sit higher with a 144-200 mount. Ford Granada, and Monarchs also had them as an option. and some Mavericks. Also 144- 200's use a smaller bolt pattern bell housing than a SBF pattern and are " high Mount starter " but all 250's use a SBF bellhousing pattern and a " Low mount starter " some 200's starting in 1980 Designated as an EO- XX BB also use SBF bellhousing pattern and are low mount, and called Big Bell 200's.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
to use your current transmission, you would need a small bell 200, which is pre 1980, however being your car probably has the Fordomatic 2spd, I'd reccomend getting a C4 automatic, and you could get 1 easilly from a junkyard if you went with a BB 200 or a 250, because they would use the V8 pattern and any V8 C4 would work.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,772 Posts
Thanks for the "Big Bell" (BB) info on the Ford 250! I didn't know they used a different one than the 144/170/200. The main reason I appreciate the info is because the small Ford I-6 is the only one that will retrofit relatively easy into a 58-63 Rambler American in place of the old 196 L-head or OHV Rambler six. The Rambler stick shift trans will bolt to the older "small bell" -- the early Falcon used a T-96 three speed like the early Rambler -- but best case is to change tranny also.

The only problem with the Rambler 196 is that production stopped in 1965, so parts are scarce! It took me three weeks to get the proper water pump last time I needed one 6-7 years ago, wouldn't want that to go out on a trip! So the 196 isn't very good for a daily driver, unless you're just going on short trips. I like my cars to be able to go anywhere, any time! I no longer run one, switched to a bigger Rambler that takes their more modern six (I use a modified AMC/Jeep 4.0L).

Length is the main problem -- no other in-line six is as short as the Rambler and Ford sixes, and there is NO extra room in the little Rambler! Width is the second problem -- the engine bay in the little Rambler is narrow. The cast on intake means it has to be close to the head (the old Rambler six was cast on also, though more versatile with a separate top plate). You'd think a modern four, many of which build more power than the old Rambler six, would be a good choice, but the intakes stick out to far for the narrow engine bay! At least Falcons didn't have that problem...

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
farna said:
Thanks for the "Big Bell" (BB) info on the Ford 250! I didn't know they used a different one than the 144/170/200. The main reason I appreciate the info is because the small Ford I-6 is the only one that will retrofit relatively easy into a 58-63 Rambler American in place of the old 196 L-head or OHV Rambler six. The Rambler stick shift trans will bolt to the older "small bell" -- the early Falcon used a T-96 three speed like the early Rambler -- but best case is to change tranny also.

The only problem with the Rambler 196 is that production stopped in 1965, so parts are scarce! It took me three weeks to get the proper water pump last time I needed one 6-7 years ago, wouldn't want that to go out on a trip! So the 196 isn't very good for a daily driver, unless you're just going on short trips. I like my cars to be able to go anywhere, any time! I no longer run one, switched to a bigger Rambler that takes their more modern six (I use a modified AMC/Jeep 4.0L).

Length is the main problem -- no other in-line six is as short as the Rambler and Ford sixes, and there is NO extra room in the little Rambler! Width is the second problem -- the engine bay in the little Rambler is narrow. The cast on intake means it has to be close to the head (the old Rambler six was cast on also, though more versatile with a separate top plate). You'd think a modern four, many of which build more power than the old Rambler six, would be a good choice, but the intakes stick out to far for the narrow engine bay! At least Falcons didn't have that problem...
also you'll notice, BB 200's and all 250's use SBF starters, the Small bell 144-200's use Starters for FE V8's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts