Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's, Im needin a little { maby alot] help. I had a 302 and AOD tranny installed in my 54 pick up [from a 85 crown victoria] but when I got it home It was in pretty bad shape. I opted to go for a pep boy's long block , got it running and it sounded good. problem was oil pressure was low so we [me and my brother in law ] decided to put a little better cam, lifters,gears and chain from edelbrock. I also put a edelbrock manifold and 600 series carb. Well I got it running [oil pressure is good and engine sounds good ]again but drives like Im pulling an 8000 pound trailer. What is the stock horse power on the 302? What should i have gained from the new goodies? I had the tranny rebuilt to but still a slug. confused but not amused. any help would be greatly appreciated. bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
william r plise said:
Hi guy's, Im needin a little { maby alot] help. I had a 302 and AOD tranny installed in my 54 pick up [from a 85 crown victoria] but when I got it home It was in pretty bad shape. I opted to go for a pep boy's long block , got it running and it sounded good. problem was oil pressure was low so we [me and my brother in law ] decided to put a little better cam, lifters,gears and chain from edelbrock. I also put a edelbrock manifold and 600 series carb. Well I got it running [oil pressure is good and engine sounds good ]again but drives like Im pulling an 8000 pound trailer. What is the stock horse power on the 302? What should i have gained from the new goodies? I had the tranny rebuilt to but still a slug. confused but not amused. any help would be greatly appreciated. bill
as for the camsaft is concerned was there anything in the cam card suggesting a higher stall converter? that could help a little, what kind of exhaust are you running it might be getting choked up due to too much back pressure I would suggest with that combo a ste of either stock mustang headers or that same era ('85) and a true duel set up with 2 1/4" piping.

·
Drive it Like u Stole it!
163 Posts
cosmo420 said:
as for the camsaft is concerned was there anything in the cam card suggesting a higher stall converter? that could help a little, what kind of exhaust are you running it might be getting choked up due to too much back pressure I would suggest with that combo a ste of either stock mustang headers or that same era ('85) and a true duel set up with 2 1/4" piping.

i'd be looking more at rear end gears than exhaust.... with an rv cam and better induction (intake manifold), you could be looking at around 300 flywheel hp, depending on the cam. the more important figure though, would be torque, which should be significantly better at lower rpms with an rv cam. however, all of that would be moot if you have a low rear end gear. would be like the hulk trying to start pedaling up a steep hill in top gear of a 10spd bicycle

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would look more at what compression ratio you are running, could be lower then you think. What is your cranking compression? Depending on the pistons of the short block your could have reduced it.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
likely that it is just the distributor timing and total timing not working with the new cam timing

mild 302's like (vacuum advance blocked) approx 10-12* base and 20-24 centrifugal (total 32-34 WOT) all in by 2800rpms for low vacuum/high load....depending on the car weight and gears and CR

then start with approx 10 timing degrees of vacuum advance, test drive, add 2* more, test drive, etc etc till the car and you "feel" good

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
The 85 Vic engine was a porker 150 hp. with limited heads.
Rebuilder engines have notoriously low compression with cheap cast pistons way down in the hole.

You might be overcammed.

Check the cam timing as well as the ignition timing as suggested.

Your mixture might need adjusted also, even though the 600 is a good choice for the 302, the 500 is better.

On a good day your engine might make 200 crankshaft horsepower on the engine dyno.
Hopefully you have at least a 3.50 gear or lower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts