Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI...for the great topics on 302 sbc builds. Look for speed shops supporting 305 modified dirt classes...they build them all day. From my budget build years...find a nice 327 minimal bore wear block. Ridge cut the top and hand hone the bores. A little low buck rule....short stroke long skirt pustons can handle more bore slop. STD bore TRW 302 pistons are strong, and cheapest. You can cut dome down as well.....

But key is finding good 327 block. I myself have 24 std bore pistons not looking that hard. Use 327 "bump" rods 65 - 67, have extra material by rod bolt head area. There are plenty of after market rods SJ..small journal size. OEM floated sj are called green rods..sj. pink sj are not as common in my searches. Cranks...early 283 steel works, $100 cranks, no notch on flywheel flange, 302 has single notch..$300 tp $700 depending on quality. Still possible to build $1500 short block.. Heads...462, 186...are getting cheaper...every week...$400 or less. Have fun...build one..

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
don't the 305 classes require the use of a factory 305 block?
there is a few builders that can change the casting number on a block and make it almost impossible to detect, so I have heard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't the 305 classes require the use of a factory 305 block?
there is a few builders that can change the casting number on a block and make it almost impossible to detect, so I have heard.
Depends on track and Sanction Body. Engine builder in Southern Ohio said they build them and had many parts. Cranks, and flat top pistons makes it nice for small cc alum heads, these days.

·
JS-70
1,294 Posts
I built a 302 from 350 block. Ohio Crankshaft ground me crank for large
journal 3 inch stroke. Another time they ground me 327 crank with large journal mains small journal rods (O)ld Grumpy Jenkins trick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts