Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I have been on here regularly, but I just picked up a 90 Mustang 5.0 that I am going to be toying with for a while.

Currently, I have a dyno program that I have been messing around with (Engine Analyzer 2.5) and I have some questions. I am attempting to set the timing on the motor, and the dyno program gives me the ideal timing at each RPM. First of all I don't know how accurate the software is (although what I have been told is that it is pretty close) so I don't want to go based only on what it says. At 1000 RPM it says that my advance should be 25deg and at 6000 it should be 37. The 37 I am ok with- that sounds about right, but does 25 seem correct for 1000 RPM? Right now I don't have the vacuum advance hooked up (I have a proform carb body which the advance is not functional on) I have 16L weights in the distributor (32deg total). I know that I will have to change out the weights in order to achieve 37 deg total timing but right now I would need to set the initial to 5. What should I go by?

Also I suspect that the timing is off now because I have little low end power. Although I am running 10.5" tires in the back, it is very hard to break them (it - its an open diff) loose but given the engine mods it should have no problem. I will be more than happy to list the mods if anyone thinks its necessary. Thanks in advance for the inputs.

TravisT

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually read that just the other day. Really good article by the way. The only problem is that it doesn't give you any guidance as to what the initial timing should be set at. (It does say that it is typically anywhere from as low as 0 deg to as high as 15 deg). The total timing that the dyno program I used seems right on (37 deg) but my concern is the timing at 1000 RPM. 25 deg is out of the window that it references in the article - but could that still be correct?

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Optimum initial advance is as much as you can safely run, and still get the engine to start. The more the merrier. Don't go by that program.

Check your timing curve with a timing light and a tach. See where you are at. Try limiting the distributor to 18o mechanical advance, and set the timing at 16o initial.

If the starter kicks back you may need to lower your initial. Listen for detonation in the lower RPMs (2,000 to 3,500). If your compression is under 10:1 you should be fine.

Have your timing curve be all in as early as possible. Make sure you have all of your advance out of idle, (it is possible to use up some of the curve with springs that are too light).

·
Registered
151 Posts
YOu should check out this link:

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?threadid=47495&highlight=vac+advance

It makes a difference for sure.

I have been playing with the engine analyzer v3.0 and I am not convinced its very accurate at all....according to this version as far as small grind camshafts go, the stock 2v 351w outperforms all the aftermarket grinds, in mild applications...that can't be right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts