Hot Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
One thing you might consider no matter what engine mods you make is to find a Chevy that was originally a stationary power source. GM made them as stand alone power units for things like pumps and generators. Some buses had this type of setup too. These engines would have had an intake and carb designed for use with a governor. This would give you the same control that a typical tractor has. No matter where you set the throttle, the governor would add carb opening to maintain that rpm.

I'm not going to say that the cam in those engines would be what you want, but they are generally designed for low to mid range power since you don't need or want a stationary engine to run wide open all the time.

Also, you want the heaviest flywheel you can get for a low speed engine. This will make it much easier for the engine to maintain rpms with changing load. A stationary engine probably has a heavy flywheel, but I can't verify that. I think someone already mentioned a heavy flywheel.

Just my dos centavos.

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
One thing you might consider no matter what engine mods you make is to find a Chevy that was originally a stationary power source. GM made them as stand alone power units for things like pumps and generators. Some buses had this type of setup too. These engines would have had an intake and carb designed for use with a governor. This would give you the same control that a typical tractor has. No matter where you set the throttle, the governor would add carb opening to maintain that rpm.
Excellent point. Cleverly enough, that was one of the original intended uses of these factory 4cylinders in these tractors.
I will try to find a heavy 153t flywheel. I will probably have to have one made.

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I wish you luck with what you are attempting to do as I always admire it when people try to learn and experiment. I've given you my best advice but I understand that you have a path you want to follow in your experimenting. I used to fool around with the idea of building a homebuilt airplane powered with an auto engine.
Thank you for all that. :) Oddly enough, that is my retirement project. Still a few decades out. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPUZCBNrduwUsw_MTW-sDxw

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,480 Posts
There's a youtube video where somebody bolted 5 flywheels onto an engine...
305 has such monstrous torque compared to original tractor engine it hardly needs a heavier flywheel...
But an automatic governor may be a handy idea...

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
There's a youtube video where somebody bolted 5 flywheels onto an engine...
305 has such monstrous torque compared to original tractor engine it hardly needs a heavier flywheel...
But an automatic governor may be a handy idea...
Holy crap! I think that would have been another way to solve my clutch clearance issues i had. NICE! And for the extra mass too. Great idea.

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ok. I think this is the cam i want. However, they are backordered everywhere.
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 17-45-06 Melling CCS-2 Melling Stock Replacement Camshafts Summit Rac...png

So i will go with this one instead.
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 18-09-58 Melling Camshaft Lifter Kit CL-MTC-1 O'Reilly Auto Parts.png

And just for reference, this is my stock cam (i believe).
Screenshot 2021-06-06 at 00-30-10 Parts Lookup - Melling.png

·
7,480 Posts
Ok. I think this is the cam i want. However, they are backordered everywhere.
WHOA !!! WHOA !!! WHOA !!! WHOA !!!
You're going the WRONG DIRECTION in cams !!!!
First 194/202 cam (Summit 1101) is stock base level CAR cam for SBC 305, 307, 327, 350, & 400.
HP peaks at 4900 RPMs in a 305.
Second 204/214 cam (Summit 1102) is similar to L81 'Vette 350" / S.S./H.O. L69 305" cam and
HP peaks at 5200 RPMs... We often recommend it as a high performance truck heavy towing cam.
As I mentioned above, need a 1950's SBC truck or stationary equipment cam (Kanter.com, etc.) for a 265" or 283"... or Summit K1100 as largest... The cam you think you already have is smaller than any of the above, but has narrow LSA and excess exhaust duration...

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
WHOA !!! WHOA !!! WHOA !!! WHOA !!!
You're going the WRONG DIRECTION in cams !!!!
First 194/202 cam (Summit 1101) is stock base level CAR cam for SBC 305, 327, 350, & 400.
HP peaks at 4900 RPMs in a 305.
Second 204/214 cam (Summit 1102) is similar to L81 'Vette 350" / S.S./H.O. L69 305" cam and
HP peaks at 5200 RPMs... We often recommend it as a high performance truck heavy towing cam.
As I mentioned above, need a 1950's SBC truck or stationary equipment cam (Kanter.com, etc.) for a 265" or 283"... or Summit K1100 as largest... The cam you already have is smaller than any of the above, but has narrow LSA and excess exhaust duration...
Ok, thanks for the info. The cam i selected was from a 1969 C30 5.0. 🤷‍♀️
Buuuuuut..... Its kinda a moot point now. lol
Theres been a change in plans. Dont be mad. I went searching for vortec heads (for the 10th time) and found this about to go to the scrap yard.
194751142_1042278512970562_577059043492757292_n.jpg

(from the ad)
Lunati Cam: 261/267 with 112 separation part# 10120701.
Block casting: 14010207.
Head casting: 10239906:
1996 350ci, Vortec 5700, L31,
64cc chambers, 170cc intake ports, 1.94/1.50-inch valves

·
7,480 Posts
Good (hopefully) Vortec 350 but too big solid roller cam for a farm tractor... prolly around 450 HP at 6200 RPMs...
  • Solid Roller Cam. Good High Performance Street Cam With Good Mid Range Torque And Hp. Works Well In 350 C.I. Motors.
  • Needs 2500 Rpm Stall Converter, Headers, 9:1+ Compression Ratio And 3.55+ Gearing. Lopey Idle.
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 261/267
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/237
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .555/.566
  • Lsa/Icl: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): 016/016
  • RPM Range: 2500-6500
Looks like a generic high rise dual plane intake manifold...

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Good (hopefully) Vortec 350 but too big solid roller cam for a farm tractor... prolly around 450 HP at 6200 RPMs...
  • Solid Roller Cam. Good High Performance Street Cam With Good Mid Range Torque And Hp. Works Well In 350 C.I. Motors.
  • Needs 2500 Rpm Stall Converter, Headers, 9:1+ Compression Ratio And 3.55+ Gearing. Lopey Idle.
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 261/267
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/237
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .555/.566
  • Lsa/Icl: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): 016/016
  • RPM Range: 2500-6500
Looks like a generic high rise dual plane intake manifold...
I have no idea what cam you are talking about.

The intake is an Engine Quest cast iron marine intake.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
to the best of my foggy remembery.. the 193 swirlport heads actually made more TQ down low than the vortecs.
The engine in your ad looks like a boat engine; with the marine intake and a mild cam (you can have trouble with a wet exhaust in a boat and a lopey cam). It could also be a dirt-track bomber engine; but the cam is probably way too small for that, unless they have some sort of restriction at the track.

It might be slightly too much cam for best perf in your 9N. The stock vortec cam is the always popular 191/196 0.418/0.430 lift 111 LSA (or so) which is of course a roller cam; but the ancient 300hp 327 flat tappet hyd GM used in literally everything back then Is essentially the same (195/202 Deg. @ .050" lift. Gross valve lift is .390/.410 on a 111 I think).

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
This 'vortec' was built for/came out of a 4x4 truck. Chevy square body with 38" tires.

·
7,480 Posts
I have no idea what cam you are talking about.

The intake is an Engine Quest cast iron marine intake.
I went with the cam spec.s listed in the ad and since "L31 Vortec's" are roller cam engines that's what I came up with... guess you'll have to figure out which cam it is... you said you wanted a "solid" cam, not hydraulic... I thought maybe that was the appeal of this engine...

OK, after further research, I see you have a standard flat tappet cam '80 - 85 engine block sporting '96 Vortec heads (supposedly)... could be 2 or 4 bolt mains block... by now dished, flat top, or domed pistons...

L31 Vortec engines only came in trucks, vans, and boats... no cars...
Marinized automotive engines usually have a bit higher compression ratio than trucks and even cars...
Marinas usually carry Mid Grade gasoline or above... no 85 - 87 octane 'regular'...
Marine cams usually 2 steps above truck cams and 1 step above car cams...

To me Engine Quest are generic intakes/products...

The Lunati 213/219 cam is essentially the same as a Summit #1103 cam... HP peak up at 5500 - 5800 RPMs and 310 - 400 HP depending on other engine parts...

I'm afraid you have no idea what you bought without tearing it down... there is conflicting info given...

Does it turn over... or run? Wanting to put it into the tractor?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Now you've gone and down it! I use to want a piece of crapola looking seaplane like the one in this movie:
Buck
Been a long time since I watched that movie. If you look at the 31 minute mark where it shows the airplane flying level, you can see how the engine is tilted upward to compensate when power is added. Personally I was always a fan of the Slepcev Storch. Amazing slow speed control. Then there is the old Helio Courier that makes a vertical takeoff (actually slightly backwards) in a high wind.
Slepcev Storch

Old videos with poor quality, but amazing. Skip to the 3:50 mark and watch till the 5 minute mark. Truly amazing.

But lets not lead the thread astray any farther. :)

·
7,480 Posts
Been a long time since I watched that movie. If you look at the 31 minute mark where it shows the airplane flying level, you can see how the engine is tilted upward to compensate when power is added.
OK, you talked me back into that seaplane! What kind is it?

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
It def has bearing problems. Not sure if the started it dry or? Maybe theres a Sherlock Holmes here. Found bearing material on oil screen. So far have only taken the caps off. Tomorrow the heads.

Attachments

·
7,480 Posts
Looks like fairly normal bearing and bore wear... no copper showing... maybe dirty oil...
Not a roller cam...
DOES HAVE 4 BOLT MAINS!!!
Measure the cam base circle diameter, intake lobe diameter, exhaust lobe diameter to compute lifts...
This looks like a lot of peoples' 'Dream Hot Rod Engine' !!! Did they give a story of WHY the engine was pulled out of the truck? They went Big Block engine? Or LSx engine?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts