Hot Rod Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks like you have a mix of parts. The block is an older (pre 1985) 2 piece rear main seal block. Also explains why it doesn't have a roller cam.
if the heads have the 906 casting number then they are 96-97 Vortec 350 heads. It is strange that someone bought a cast iron intake for it? If I had to guess I'd say this motor was built for a boat. The heat tab on the block and the cast iron intake are kind of a dead give away that is was most likely built for marine use. The cam in it will be a crap shoot. See if there are any numbers stamped or engraved on the end of it. It's all still a good core for what your wanting to do with it

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
If you want a 305 to make torque low you should be looking for a 305 v6. Those things make something like 250ftlbs around 1800 or so.

If you just want a cheap 305 v8 for a bit more power and easy to find parts just run the thing as is. If it blows up you grab another lets say $150 longblock and be back up and running the next weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A Ford 9N is governed to not turn much over 2000rpm( sorry not being exact but it has been 70 years since then) and the one I spent hours on buzzed madly then. The big engine sounds much nicer to ride behind but with no suspension and ground not glass smooth, with a high center of gravity and narrow width you are not going to go very fast unless it is a highway tractor are you? So maximize what is good and don't worry about things you will not be doing.

The suggestion of a short duration camshaft with no overlap, CR from 9 to 9.5:1, zero decked engine is excellent as I had one in a 1800 lb car and it was wonderful .
Great torque, good economy and nice to drive. Focus on the camshaft. Don't let the cylinder pressure be high. In my case 170psi was good it burned cheap gas and would not knock. A friend wanted high compression, got 285psi and his geared starter would not even crank it.
My engine was setup to cruise at 2200 rpm , just a little over idle, and sounds like what you said you wanted.

Power at 5000 rpm or even over 3000rpm, has no relevance to you as you can best use torque from 1500 to 2500. A heavy flywheel helps . An Alis Chalmers WD has a 65 lb flywheel but I don't see fitting a tractor flywheel to a car engine being easy. the easiest thing is a large displacement engine but they use more fuel. I sugest that you fix up a second tractor as the first is good now and sometimes "improvements" make things worse ( like my buddies engine that was improved so much that it will not start. )

·
Registered
15 Posts
A Ford 9N is governed to not turn much over 2000rpm( sorry not being exact but it has been 70 years since then) and the one I spent hours on buzzed madly then. The big engine sounds much nicer to ride behind but with no suspension and ground not glass smooth, with a high center of gravity and narrow width you are not going to go very fast unless it is a highway tractor are you? So maximize what is good and don't worry about things you will not be doing.

The suggestion of a short duration camshaft with no overlap, CR from 9 to 9.5:1, zero decked engine is excellent as I had one in a 1800 lb car and it was wonderful .
Great torque, good economy and nice to drive. Focus on the camshaft. Don't let the cylinder pressure be high. In my case 170psi was good it burned cheap gas and would not knock. A friend wanted high compression, got 285psi and his geared starter would not even crank it.
My engine was setup to cruise at 2200 rpm , just a little over idle, and sounds like what you said you wanted.

Power at 5000 rpm or even over 3000rpm, has no relevance to you as you can best use torque from 1500 to 2500. A heavy flywheel helps . An Alis Chalmers WD has a 65 lb flywheel but I don't see fitting a tractor flywheel to a car engine being easy. the easiest thing is a large displacement engine but they use more fuel. I sugest that you fix up a second tractor as the first is good now and sometimes "improvements" make things worse ( like my buddies engine that was improved so much that it will not start. )
Nothing at all with a heavy engine in a tractor as it helps pull if you are towing with the front wheels up in the air ( I sometimes tow trees that way steering with the brakes) but as you don't want the tractor to go upside down turning you into jelly set it up so the throttle is smooth and easily decreased (not like that on a 8N) and the clutch works quickly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nothing at all with a heavy engine in a tractor as it helps pull if you are towing with the front wheels up in the air ( I sometimes tow trees that way steering with the brakes) but as you don't want the tractor to go upside down turning you into jelly set it up so the throttle is smooth and easily decreased (not like that on a 8N) and the clutch works quickly.
the above should read "Nothing at all wrong with a heavy engine...."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Crower made a very good "stump pulling torque"(their terminology) cam.. Baja beast or something like that name. I loved mine and recommend it to you. My application chevy 350 full size van.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,480 Posts
the above should read "Nothing at all wrong with a heavy engine...."
Those 3 little dots at top right of a posting allow editing at any time now... (previously only had 1/2 hour to edit)

Crower Baja Beast cams are similar to a Summit 1102 & '1102 1/2' cam... way too big for his low RPMs tractor usage... and 3 times the price...

·
7,480 Posts
If I had to guess I'd say this motor was built for a boat.
My guess is the Vortec heads and iron Vortec intake came together off a Vortec marine engine in a boat junkyard! Nice find! Except boat junkyard pricing may be higher than automobile junkyard... unless it was an abandoned boat...

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Ok. Got the "vortec" tore down. Gonna start a separate thread on it. I'll stick a link here. Thanks for all the advice on the 305. Im pretty sure i could stack 2 flywheels inside this bellhousing. I may try that.

·
7,480 Posts
Ok. Got the "vortec" tore down. Gonna start a separate thread on it. I'll stick a link here. Thanks for all the advice on the 305. Im pretty sure i could stack 2 flywheels inside this bellhousing. I may try that.
What kind of pistons did you find? Dished or flat top?

·
Owner of a broken cart
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

61 - 74 of 74 Posts