Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about a lot and i know most of you will tell me that i should just dump it and get a 350. I have done searches and read what was available. This is a very low mileage engine and I would like to keep it for a while. What kind of things can I do to it to step up the performance a lil. What intake, cam, and such should i add to step it up a lil. By the way all this is in a 79 camaro. I was thinking about full dual exhaust but i was told that it couldn't be run on that body style. Is this true. Well any help that you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
my 305 i put a edelbrock performer rv camshaft #2102, edelbrock performer intake #2101, edelbrock double roller timing chain, new q-jet, but since the bearings went i put everything onto my 267. oh and i also put on some headers and when the cars on the road i will be putting dual exhaust on it.

why u cant put dual exhaust on the car would probaly be that the crossmember only has a hump on the one side and so u need a double hump crossmember for clearnce on the other side, well if thats the case anyways.

hope i helped

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I'm with lluc. One thing I would say that will really up your performance is a little bit of a cam, not too much (268 comps would be cool) get some of the late 80's camaro heads (cheap, good heads, bigger valves probably than what you had) intake and a carb. TO compensate for the bit of low end you'll lose, get a cheap B&M torque converter, or a summit (I'm using the torkmaster behind my 388 and its fine) at the tune of about 2200 or 2500 RPM. You'll get a good launch, bet you'll be at the bottom end of the 15's depending on how you tune it, your exhaust, gears and the car. Might even grab a high 14 if you're good.

K

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, dual exhaust can be done on a 79. Mine has it. Personally, I think it's easier to set up than single, because you don't have to worry about the crossover pipe clearance. If I recall correctly, the factory used a crossover to a cataclysmic converter, then split to dual exhaust the rest of the way back, so all you need to do is run straight pipes from just ahead of where the original Y was to where splits again.

Chris

·
Registered
53 Posts

Hey there,
Just to let you know this subject is actively being tossed around in the engine section. I think the title of the thread is "Need help giving my 305 a little more pep!!!!" Just hit the search icon and type in - 305 pep - and that will bring you right to the link. On that link I gave a detailed description of everything I have in my 78 pontiac firebird with a 305. It runs low 14's on a good tire. I took some heat on the 305 build up myself but stay with it. you will learn a lot about combinations by making this 305 a good engine. Let me know if you have any other quesitons. I run dual exhaust wiht two cats straight off the headers. It ends at the rear axle and doesn't have tail pipes but is a true dual exhaust set up. Just another possibility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts