Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 Monte Carlo LS with what I believe to be an HO 305. The reason why I'm not sure is because it's made of so many different car's parts. Not sure if the engine is stock but the head's casting was 081 so I assume it's an HO. From research I found that it's an LG4 which was machined for a roller cam but was flat tappet. I had an old cam laying around so I threw it in. It's a comp cams 08-300-8 (Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 262/264, Lift .450/.480, Chevy). I did that as well as put an Edelbrock torker II intake on it. It has a stock q-jet on it as well. Just to mention I used a head gasket from a 350 so I know that lowers compression but I didn't care at the time. I couldn't get all the exhaust manifold bolts in and knew it was going to leak. I started it anyway and took it for a spin. It felt slower than before and I'm wondering if this could be a result of the manifold leak. It's so bad you can see flames coming out of the head. I plan on fixing it tomorrow but I'm just wondering what you guys think. Im not 100% that the timing is dialed in either so it might be that. Just give me your thoughts.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Hey, you gave it a shot.......sometimes it works, most times not....especially if its done half hearted, loose bolts etc. Fix your mistakes and give it another go. You have nothing much to lose.
I had a L78 396 one time that I put a lot of time, money and effort into. Right after startup, it spun a bearing. Crank was scored......I said, heck with this and threw another old crank and bearings I had laying around. That thing ran like stink for 2 years until I went with a 454.........Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes it eats you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts