Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a V8 trike that has a 1981 Chevy 305 engine in it.
It has Zoomie headers on it, but they are too loud.
I found a set of headers for a great price, but I am not sure if they would work properly.

Attached is a picture of the heads with a gasket for the new headers.

My question: will these headers work properly on my engine?

As you can see- the exhaust ports are rectangular and the gaskets for the new headers are oval.

Your expert opinions please...

Attachments

·
Registered
14,572 Posts
I have a V8 trike that has a 1981 Chevy 305 engine in it.
It has Zoomie headers on it, but they are too loud.
I found a set of headers for a great price, but I am not sure if they would work properly.

Attached is a picture of the heads with a gasket for the new headers.

My question: will these headers work properly on my engine?

As you can see- the exhaust ports are rectangular and the gaskets for the new headers are oval.

Your expert opinions please...
I'd check the flange and gasket for overhang in the port. The flange you can't do much if anything about short of an adapter or a different set of headers. For the gasket you don't want material that can burn off as it is as likely to be sucked into the combustion chamber riding with the reversion waves as tossed out with the exhaust stream.

Bogie

·
Registered
123 Posts
Like oldbogie said. take off that old casket and put the new gasket up to the head check for over lap over the port holes if you don't have any over lap you are good. if you are worried about the shape of the headers vs the shape of the ports the round ports if they are larger will great a little step down and will help pull exhaust gases from your cylinder one the exhaust stroke. From the looks of it the exhaust that was mounted up before was a little to big that gasket swallows your ports

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AS you can see in the picture, the original exhaust ports are rectangular and the gaskets for the new headers are oval.
The openings on the new gaskets are smaller than the openings on the original heads--
so that extra gasket material has the chance of being sucked in to the combustion chamber---
that would not be a good thing.

I'll check with the guy that has the new headers and see if I can get a picture of the headers themselves.

*Note: the Zoomies already have the baffles in them --they are too loud.
I can't imagine the Zoomies without the baffles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
305 Exhaust Ports & Gaskets

I understand about not using the gaskets that cover part of the exhaust port---that makes sense.

But what if the new headers are the same shape as the gaskets?

Could I use them even if the headers are smaller than the exhaust ports and a different shape?

The RTV Hi-Temp sounds like the ticket.

Does it degrade over time?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Like the other guys said, just make sure there is no gasket material hanging in the exhaust stream.
I would run them. If this is a basically stock 305 the interface at the exhaust port is not going to make any power difference as long as the port isn't blocked.
Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chevy 305 Exhaust Ports

So as long as there is no gasket material overhanging the exhaust port,
I can run the new headers even if the ports on the headers are oval in shape--right?

The main thing is that the flange has a good fit against the block, right?

And there should be no exhaust leaks, right?

Can an exhaust leak do engine damage?

And the Hi-Temp RTV is the thing to use, right?

If I use the RTV stuff, I do not need gaskets, right?

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts