Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to put a 305 in my 89 s10 it is a 2 wd and it only has the 2.5 (4cylender) and it is a 5 speed but im not sure if i can use that tranny or clutch i would hope i can because i just put a new clutch in the the motor went which sux but n e way i was wondering if n e one could help me out by tellin my what i have to change to get a 305 into it i know some of the stuff but im not sure on the rest so please could someone help me

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
The 305 wont bolt to the 4 cyl bellhousing....and the 4 cly clutch would be too weak anyways.

I suggest getting a whole package out of a Camaro or Firebird, with the V8 5 speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
**** lol i just put the new clutch in and the motor went lol so thats y i wanna upgrade but i bet it would get expensive to do that and do u know what else i would ahve to change i know the motor mounts but im not sure what else

·
Registered
139 Posts
steve0_40 , if you're serious about dropping a V8 in your truck I would go with a 350 instead of a 305. But that's just me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just put in a 4.3 6 cylinder out of one of the cars from a junkyward or something. Should make the installalot simplier, and those are big 6 cylinders, feels stronger then the 305 that was in my friends Monte Carlo.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Artemis Entreri said:
Just put in a 4.3 6 cylinder out of one of the cars from a junkyward or something. Should make the installalot simplier, and those are big 6 cylinders, feels stronger then the 305 that was in my friends Monte Carlo.
It srill wont bolt to his tranny...............and "new" clutch.

·
Registered
169 Posts
First off, I would recommend searching around on the net a little. www.jagsthatrun.com has some info on the S10 v8 swap, and there are plenty of other sites out there that will have this sort of info.

A good friend of mine swapped a v8 into his 4.3 AstroVan recently, and I helped him out with a variety of things along the way.

First of all, you aren't going to be able to use that 4 cyl transmission. It isn't strong enough, the bellhousing will not be correct, and I believe that the length of the input shaft is also different.

The best choice would be to get a t5 from a 4.3 v6 S10. It will bolt right up to the 305, the shifter will be in the same place as your current trans, and it will bolt to your crossmember, and it is the same length, so you can keep your drive shaft.

The camaro t5 is also a possibility, but it is not as easy a swap as the 4.3 s10. The most significant issue is the shifter is further back on the transmission. Also, the transmission is mounted to the engine at an angle, using a unique bellhousing.

In any case, you will also need to consider motor mounts and cooling. For motor mounts, you can buy specially made mounts (summit has them) that are offset to allow the V8 to bolt into the 4.3 mounting holes on the frame. In my friends' astro, he had a plate bolted onto the 4.3 mounts, then welded the plate to the frame.

For cooling, you will want to get a radiator for a 4.3 s10, probably one equipped with an automatic and AC (this should be the highest capacity radiator), if possible and all-aluminum unit. Put plugs in the tranny cooler holes.

You will need to get 4.3 liter radiator hoses and shorten them.

There are shorty headers available for this swap, I am pretty sure summit has them as well, or you can use factory V8 manifolds with a 4.3 y-pipe (or factory manifolds and your own dual exhaust).

I know that there also some issues with room for the fan, but I think that a flex fan and the correct length spacer will solve that. I think most guys use a 4.3 fan shroud that is trimmed back (this is what we did on the Astro).

As for the guys saying to put a 350 instead of a 305, don't sweat it. If you've got a 305, or are getting one for cheap/free, go for it. There are plenty of guys out there with 305's in s10's that are happy. If you do a good job (especially on the exhaust system!) you will end up with a smoother, quieter vehicle than you had with the 4 cyl, something that is quite driveable but has way more power when you mash the happy pedal. Also, the 305 doesn't need quite as much cooling as the 350 does (in fact, I have heard from several people who swapped 305s in place of 4.3s that their s10 actually runs cooler now) so your truck will probably run nice and cool, and you'll get great mileage (a lot of guys with 305 s10s are getting around 23-25 mpg).

Chris

·
Registered
169 Posts
Steve didn't mention if he had the 305 already or not, but I figured it sounded like it.

If I was going to have to buy the 305, I'd probably go with a 350 as well, as I have gotten a 350 for free, and another for $200 bucks, so I figure I can probably always get a 350 for whatever price a 305 is offered for...

But, I have a nice 305 laying around that I have been trying to convince my brother in law to drop into HIS 4 cyl, 2wd, 5 speed S10...

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
305 Into A 89 S10

CHRISFLOCK gave good advise on a Astro van but a pick up isn't the same.
You need to get a manual that covers the v8 swap it will really help. Go on line and search for S10 V8 swaps, there are a few out there. JTR is one company that has reasonal prices also e-bay is great.
You will need 2.8 motor mounts. 4.3 rad will not cool,corvette rad is $130.
If you want go with a 5sp or auto you will have to relocate hole in the floor, no big deal. I went with a 700r4 in my 88, but changed to a th350. th350 cost a lot less to rebuild and i don't drive on Hwy's to use the 4th gear.
You didn't say if your 305 is carbureted or not, i would go carbureted for the easier hook up. If you use a short water pump you will not have the cut and move your rad forward. Other advised to go with a 350 if you don't already have the 305. I put a 355 with mild build 350hp and I'll tell you you will want more...............there are a few tricks that the manual dosn't cover. Ican e-mail photos if you want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oldman s10 pics would be great but i can get a 305 with the turbo 350 tranny really cheap so ima go with that and i can get all my **** cheap lol my dad machanic he has cheep prices and my friend gets discounts everywere like im going to put a new front clip on it like off of a 03 or somethin but we r pullin the 4 cyl really soon so i can do body work cuz i need to do some on the fire wall b4 the new motor goes in and im thinken if i puit a roll cage in it it should strangthen everything and if not it will give it a good look and i have a 3 inch duel exhaust for it so ti should sound good with the 4 inch crome tips on the end

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
3 inch on a lo-po 305...that will kill low end.......i would go with 2 or 2 1/4 with h-pipe or x-pipe......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i already have the exhaust thoguth it was free so i should jsut use it i will run cats and mufflers for back pressure

·
Registered
4 Posts
go with what you got. the only fire wall work needs to be done is hammering the trans tunnel lip flat,dent in the fire wall where the passage side header dumps. take your time and do it right. have fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have some patching to do though this truck sat in a faild for a whileso i have body work to do but its not to bad but thanx for the tips on the fire wall

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
a 5 speed from a 4.3 or a full size truck would be the one to use. and i reccomend the 305 over a 4.3 anyday the 4.3 is a very lazy motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts