Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this thread is strictly about the 305, i don't want to have a whole bunch of people to post reply after reply about how a 350 is better, so if thats you, i would ask you to not post a reply for i already know. but anyways, let me explain what i want to do here. i just bought a 305 block cast 14010201 heads 140114416 that came out of an 81 El Camino or so i was told. the engine came as a long block and as far as i can tell has been freshened up for it is extremely clean.

This engine is going into a 86 z28 that i pick up off my buddy for $250 (someone doesn't know how to check there oil thats why i need the 305.) alright the parts i have on hand that i was wondering if they would make the 305 a litter more powerful and would work well together. i have a MC1730 ($30) specs. lift .420 intake/.442 exhaust, duration @ .050 204 intake/214 exhaust. rpm performer edlebrock intake (haha free, found on the side of the road) and a edlebrock 650 carb ($40) I am only into the long block $100 so if i can make this combo work i would be well ahead and would have money to re-rebuild my flopped 350, hence the 305.

but the whole project is pretty limited on money for i have yet another project. I am in the process of building a 455 superdudy for the 77 formula which hopefully is going to be my drag car and my camaro is going to be my street car. I am only 19 with high hopes and not a lot of experience in adding performance parts to an engine. I have rebuild diesel engines for i am a diesel mechanic. So i am not worried about my skills but i need help in picking the right combos for a performance engine. any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Edelbrock's recommended combinations would put a more aggressive cam with that manifold, but I think it will still work fairly well with a 305. If you want more power, you need more cam, but it will also affect driveability. The cam you have is a good daily driver grind.

Its hard to tell what else should be done to the 305, without knowing how stock it is. Stock 305 engines usually benefit from valve work and cleaning up the flow in the heads, but that might have already been done on this engine.

Bruce

·
Super Moderator
18,359 Posts
We put a Crane Energizer cam in an 85 Z28 305 a few years ago..........dont remember the specs, but it was a mileage type cam........really woke it up...I was supprised.

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
I ran a 305 in my 67 Chevelle wagon for several years. Good little motor when setup right. Got good gas mileage for a carb setup.
Cam you've got would work for daily driver.
Intake is fine/carb fine..
Make sure the head's you've got are 305 heads.
You can use a large chamber head (350) style head just make sure you use a 350 headgasket with it. Your compression will be down with the large chamber heads but it'll still run ok for what your doing.

It'd be about the same performance as stock 305HO' from the camaro's in that day .. 15-16sec 1/4mi range.
~Scott

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If it were me Id sell the RPM intake & get a regular Performer intake. The cam you have is basically a Edelbrock Performer cam. That intake has a rather large amount of plenum volume for a small engine like a 305...with low compression and a low rpm cam.
Im a little confused on the carb..I dont know of any 650 cfm Edelbrock carbs, however I wouldnt use anything bigger than a 500 cfm on that combo. I built a simialer 305 a few years backfor my 77 Chevy shortbed pickup. flat tops, same cam, Performer intake, ported stock 305 casting heads, 570 CFM Holley. with 3.73 gears it ran 14.30s as I recall.
I also built another 305, a bit healthier, but still mild for my 86 El Camino with 3.08 gears ran 13.40s. it was a 10.0:1 motor with L-98 aluminum vette heads, I dont recall the cam specs without looking them up,(however it was mild enough it passed IM240 smog test). Performer intake, 570 Holley. Fun little motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts