Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
eat a beaver, save a tree
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm rebuilding the 305 in my wifes 85 ss. i found a 305 roller cam short block with all the roller hardware for cheap.

here's what's up with the rebuild:
std bore flat top pistons, XR258HR-10 (part no. 08-408-8) hydraulic roller camshaft Advertised duration: 258 / 264, lift: 0.480 / 0.487 with a 110 lobe separation. edelbrock performer intake, & a set of shorty headers.

i have three sets of heads i can use. one pair of 601's, one pair of 416"s, & one pair are 434's. which heads would be the best? i think their all the same as fare as valve size & combustion chamber size. i don't think it would matter much between them, but i know there are some 305 guru's on this site that will know the answer.

it's my wifes daily driven car, so a afr headed 406 small block is out of the question. i'm after dependability & gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
the 601s imo have the best chamber design i think there 58cc but ive heard they were 54cc, they look smaller comparing them to the 416s which are 58cc also but have the intake runners of a 350 head, both are 1.84 valve. the 434s are 60cc with smaller 1.74 valve, thats about all i know on the three so for the best performance go with the 416s

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
That is the most cam I would recommend.

Grab a $ 3 100 cc veterinary syringe and measure the chambers. Just level the heads, fill the syringe with windshield fluid, dribble into the chambers... see how much is left in the syringe. Accurate to +- 1/4 cc if you are careful. You can measure ports also.

A few hours home porting will be fine. Remember 80% of the gains come from the first 20 % of the work. Don't overdo it. clean them up, roll the edge below the valve seat, clean the valve stem, smooth up the casting ridges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.