Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 383 crank and a 305 and im going to stroke the 305 with the 383 crank i know that you have to have special 383 pistons for a 383 stroker, but can you run the cast 305 pistons and 5.7 rods or do you have to have the 400 rods?

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I don't know if your crank will work at all. Yes it will bolt into the block, but its counter weights are for the heavier 383 slugs which are 4.030, much bigger than the 305 bore. I think you're going to spend more on this motor than you would just getting a 350 block and building a 383. BTW, the motor you get out of this will be something like 337 cubes or something, and will probably have its butt handed to it by a good running 327 any day of the week. Anything smaller than a 4 inch bore isn't goign to perform, and you're not going to be able to put very big valves in it either.

305 and 350 cranks are NOT interchangable. Counterweights are all wrong and the money you spend changing the 305 crank by adding weight could easily be used to buy a proper crank.

Get a 350 block-

K

·
Registered
102 Posts
killerformula said:
will probably have its butt handed to it by a good running 327 any day of the week. Anything smaller than a 4 inch bore isn't goign to perform, and you're not going to be able to put very big valves in it either-

K
I would have to agree and go out and get you a 350 but the thing about it not performing I would have to disagree. anything under a 4 inch bore wont perform? Are you crazy? There are *** loads of motor with under 4 inch bores which are screamers! If Im not mistaken Im pretty sure they sell stroker kits for that 305. That motor will have lots of power. Not as much as a stroked 350 would but it wouldnt be a POS either.
you would be happier with a 383
You shouldnt rate a motor by the bore size. I guess all the late model car engines like the vettes sucks because the bore is under 4 inches. the LT1, LS1. LS2 and the LS6 I believe are all 3 and some change

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yes you can make a 305 stroker motor. You have to use 400 rods or get stroker pistons and use the 5.7 rods. A few places do have the 305 stroker pistons. You have to get the rotating assembly balanced. You'll probably have to grind the block or have it milled so that the rods/rod nuts don't hit the oil pan rails. Some oil pans will not fit with this set up. In the end it's cheaper to go find a 350 block.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
yes, but the latemodel vettes also use different heads and valvetrain equipment to do that. Furthermore, their bore is JUST under 4 inches if I remember. Its widely accepted that motors with smaller bores aren't usually used for performance applications. SImilarly built, a 302 ford and a 305 chevy, the 302 will whip the pants off it. It can spin up higher because of its short stroke. 305's are also further limited by their bores because they can only use valves that are so big (don't think they can use 2.02) because the valves hit the walls of the bores.

So saying that motors with smaller bores don't generally perform, is a valid comment.

K

·
Registered
102 Posts
killerformula said:
yes, but the latemodel vettes also use different heads and valvetrain equipment to do that. Furthermore, their bore is JUST under 4 inches if I remember. Its widely accepted that motors with smaller bores aren't usually used for performance applications. SImilarly built, a 302 ford and a 305 chevy, the 302 will whip the pants off it. It can spin up higher because of its short stroke. 305's are also further limited by their bores because they can only use valves that are so big (don't think they can use 2.02) because the valves hit the walls of the bores.

So saying that motors with smaller bores don't generally perform, is a valid comment.

K
wow so your contradicting your arguement in the other thread about BBs
FYI a 305 was built in its time for smog reasons. and its bore is just under 4 inches also

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
badazz81z28 said:
wow so your contradicting your arguement in the other thread about BBs
FYI a 305 was built in its time for smog reasons. and its bore is just under 4 inches also
Dude, you're totally lost. An LSI motor is a motor using the latest of today's technology to make its power. It has fuel injection, computer designed heads, computer designed timing and injection pulses and roller valvetrain. THe bore is like 3.9x.

THe 305 (whether it was made in the smog era or not, which actually just further justifies my point in saying its not a performance mill) has a 3.735 bore (anybody with any knowledge of motors knows thats a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller bore than 4.0 inches). And uses the same technology smallblock motors have been using since 1958. ITS NOT A PERFORMANCE MOTOR, GET OVER IT.

BTW, check out what they did to the LS1 to the LS2 to get their more power out of it... LS2 Click.

They increased the bore to an even 4.0 inches btw, the old ls1 was 3.905 inches.

Lastly, I fail to see how this has anything to do with my thread about bigblock motors and small. The bores of both motors are well over 4 inches. Stock bigblock chevy bore is 4.25 inches, aftermarket smallblock blocks can handle that same bore too... which is not really the point. My point was asking if the weight savings of the smallblock combined with todays airflow technology in the heads made up for the bigblock design. THe consensus is that it doesn't, but nothing in that category has under a 4 inch bore (Not even close) so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Learn your facts man.

K

·
Registered
102 Posts
who ever says that small bore motors like the 305 cant perform doesnt know anything about motors.
the technology is here to make anything perform well. How can you say similary built motors 327 and 337 the 327 would whoop it? Talk some sense now are you telling me the smaller cubed motor will have less power even thought they are built the same?

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
omfg. Dude, you really need to stop, search and learn about what you're talking about.

Will a 337 motor with the 3.73 bore of the 305 similarly built as a 327 lose to the 327. I'd bet on it. Bigger bores influence more airflow, 4.0 is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger than 3.73. My 327 is going to be able to use bigger valves too, and will be able to turn higher RPM with the shorter stroke.

Show me one performance motor that chevy built that used the 3.73 inch bore of the 305. Hell, they had the 307 with the small bore, why did they bother building a zz302? THey needed the bore.

Learn.

K:rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
badazz81z28 said:
I would have to agree and go out and get you a 350 but the thing about it not performing I would have to disagree. anything under a 4 inch bore wont perform? Are you crazy? There are *** loads of motor with under 4 inch bores which are screamers! If Im not mistaken Im pretty sure they sell stroker kits for that 305. That motor will have lots of power. Not as much as a stroked 350 would but it wouldnt be a POS either.
you would be happier with a 383
You shouldnt rate a motor by the bore size. I guess all the late model car engines like the vettes sucks because the bore is under 4 inches. the LT1, LS1. LS2 and the LS6 I believe are all 3 and some change
Why waste money stroking a 305?

Here is a 350 a little more worthy of discussing:
http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/350 chevy engine.html

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I agree with killerformula also,besides why throw money away in a 305?It is either a 305 or a boat anchor.Good 350 blocks are a dime a dozen,same overall price to build,plus better potential.Any boneyard has slews of them,machineshopswill have them laynig around from non-payment customers.Stay away from the Mexican blocks though.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
The Mexican blocks are better if you are looking for a small block Ford.

The link above proves that the same displacement doesn't behave the same. The 350 in that article is a lot more desireable than the run of the mill stock 350 bottom end.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh yea I never did say forget the 350 and go 305 I definatly agree the 350 will be alot better. But if the man wants to build a 305 stroked its not going to be crap. .
and dont count it out just because the bore is small. Small bore motors can make power. hence the small ford motors and the honda bangers.
Im having fun with this post. :boxing:

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
"the technology is here to make anything perform well"

While indeed technology has improved, it just isn't cost effective to throw todays latest and greatest on something like a 305. By doing so you hinder the technologies true capacity to perform.

I think what Killer and people are trying to express is that your seriously limiting yourself by choosing a 305 and there is a reason that they are generally not used in performance applications. Yes they were designed during a smog era. They were also outfitted with the latest and greatest technology of the time in 85 with the TPI systems, however GM still decided to put a bigger bore more cu.in motor on their flagship car, the Corvette, which boasted the exact same engine technology that was outfitted on their other "performance" vehicles, the Camaro and Firebird.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
If a guy has a good 305 block and some good 305 heads and wants to build a stroker, there's no reason not to. Just as long as he realizes the smaller bores will shroud the valves badly which will in turn restrict breathing, therefore horsepower, as compared to a bigger bore. This is why, all else being equal, an engine with smaller bores will have less power than an engine with with larger bores. If someone is trying to build a numbers matching car, or use the original engine, the stroker is not a bad choice. I have a bunch of 305 blocks and heads and I am really getting the urge to build one just to see how it runs.

Keith Black has a bunch of pistons for this build.

BTW, the 305 and 350 cranks differ only in the weight of the counterweights. I have seen more than a few 350's built with 305 cranks (stock rebuilds, not balanced). Did one for my self quite a while ago. While I do NOT recommend doing that, it can be done. The chance of an engine shake is too great for me to try it again.

tom

·
Registered
140 Posts

if i am not mistaken (which i may be) if you bore the 305.030 over or maybe it is .060 and drop a 289 crank in it you can get about the performance of the chevy 302 (all of this i was told by a co-worker and i dont know his credibility but he is a chevy genius.)

if i am not mistaken (which i may be) if you bore the 305.030 over or maybe it is .060 and drop a 289 crank in it you can get about the performance of the chevy 302 (all of this i was told by a co-worker and i dont know his credibility but he is a chevy genius.)

why the hell did that come out twice? and if i am wrong on my previous post please correct me

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
Re: 305

455c-10 said:

why the hell did that come out twice? and if i am wrong on my previous post please correct me
Yep, you're wrong BOTH times. You only get 267 cubic inches (I am assuming you mean a 283 crank) and the small (3.766" @ .030" over) bore is way too small compared to the 302 bore.

There are a lot of Chevy "geniuses" out there.

tom

1 - 20 of 37 Posts