Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to the forum. I need help with a few questions I've got. I'm building up a 305 tuned port engine with a new crank, stronger rods, forged pistons with 8:6.1 commpression, cam, and world products torquer 305 heads. This engine will be turbocharged, and I need to know if the block can handle around 15-18 PSI?? Also, does anyone have any parts reccommendations or prefferend companies? I also don't want any "get a 350" replies, because I'm not ging to. Any help would be great!

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Get a 350.....

The 305 should be fine,most boosted engines are stock cast anyways and they hold up fine.The guys with the big buck blocks have the $$$ to do it with.But the stock engine will be fine.Good luck man.

Could not help telling you to get the 350:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The 305 is actually not a bad choice for a turbo engine. All the cubic inch rules go out the window with turbos since 2 HP/cid is gravy if the parts can hold together. The 305 should have plenty of meat in the cylinder wall to handle a good deal of boost. I would probably still do a short grout to help stabilize the cylinders and mains.

If you are planning on running the TPI setup you will need to look into a different ECU. If you want to stay with GM, you could try to get your hands on a GN, Typhoon, or Cyclone ECU with a custom chip. If you dont mind some rewiring and want to really be able to tune the thing than aftermarket or open source is the way to go. I am using the vems genboard (www.vems-group.org) on my turbo small block and it works very well. The V3.# works perfect with all the GM sensors and will give you the ability to do full sequential over batch firing as well as WBO2 and EGT. Factory knock sensor can be used as well with some tuning of the code. For $500 for an assembled unit, the price is hard to beat. If you want to do your own partial assembly and testing you can get it much cheaper.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.