Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty soon I am going to start working on putting a V8 in a vega.
I am going with a 305 because that is what I have, and being 16 can't afford anything else.... I think that the 305 would be good since it doesn't make as much torque as a 350, and would do less damage to the rear-end etc... I want to get more HP out of it by doing some bolt ons and nitrous

Do you think that this is a good idea or should I do something else? Everything that I read says that it would be more expensive to get the same horsepower out of a 305 than it would with a 350...

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
It will be less expensive and easier to get the same amount of power out of the 350 than the 305. That said, you still have lots of options for the 305 and for a small vehicle like that you should be able to provide ample power out of the 305. But if you feel like you're going to want MORE power down the road . . . save up a few hundred bucks and grab yourself a 350 block. They are cheap and everywhere.

If you are worried about the rear end and other components of the vehicle staying together because of a 350's power . . . N02 definitely isn't for you or this car my friend.

·
Registered
579 Posts
you'll have to weld some corners on the frame and beef up the front suspension to hold the power and added weight.
did you concider insurance and inspections?? a monza actually came with a small block so there would be no problems there.a vega did not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did this 20 years ago. Put a 327 into a 73 Vega. Will admit, it was a fun play toy. BUT......

The little bitty rear end was ok if your gonna drive it like grannie going to church. But if you get on the gas, it's gonna rip out real fast. So I then tubbed it and put in a short 12 bolt chevy rearend. Got all that worked out so I could feed it some gas and then noticed there was ALOT of body twist from all the cutting done to tub the car. Alot more than I felt safe with. Plus I had to beef up the front end to deal with the more weight in the front so I had a full frame put under the car.

Don't mean to scare ya with this post, but just wanna warn ya of what all I went though to make a safe and strong enough car to replace the 4 banger with a V8.
The Vega can be a super fun project and when your done, I think you'll enjoy the fun you'll have driving it. Good luck!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts