Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have question hopefully someone can help with. My son recently changed cams in his 350 290 hp crate motor. It only has about 5000 miles on it. Would this cam be any better than my stock cam in my 87 MC SS 305. It has mild mods, ie: performer intake, Holley carb, headers dual exshaust and stock 3:73 rear. It is no longer computer controlled. Thanks.

·
Known traffic menace
81 Posts
I am guessing it would be a little better but, I wouldn't put the cam that was in your sons motor in yours unless you use the same lifters and you know exactly which hole they came from. It's a good way to wipe out cam lobes if you don't. If you do it, Use lots of break in lube. Perry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We marked all the lifters with where they were orginally, so if we did decided to install it, they could be reinstalled with their matching lobe. Thanks

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
The 290-horse engine uses a very mild cam and gets most of its power with head flow.

Find the specs first, you might find that its a 196/206 cam that wouldn't be worth the time and effort.... might even be smaller than what you have in there :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
The 350/290hp crate motor from GM uses a #3896962 hydraulic flat tappet cam. This is the same cam that was used in the L-46 and L-82 350.

222/[email protected] .450/.460lift 114lsa

Fairly stout in a 305......

Would add about 1000rpm to your power range. Might make the bottom end soft without a little more converter. Ought to sound good though......

The 305 would have came with a #14088843 Hyd flat tappet cam.

202/[email protected] .403/.415lift 115lsa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts