Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a guy who has a Holley 600cfm carb on a 307 engine that he's gonna sell me for cheap. I was thinking since he's selling this so cheap, I might see about getting the heads, but I'm building a 350 and want to know what the pros/cons of this would be. assuming theyd even bolt up. I've heard the tales of the wondrous 4416 305 heads when built properly, but can 307 heads produce similar results? also, he has a weiend intake on it. would that be any good?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
$20 is great for a running 307 if you're just looking for motivation, but if you're looking for parts to scavenge off of it, the crank and rods are about the only things worth saving. You could recover your cost by selling the oil pan on Ebay :)

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
klutchmaster427 said:
So if I built a 327 with it would I have a better engine than a mildly built 350? HP-wise? And are the crank/connecting rods only parts I wpyld have to changeover to make it work?
NO! Why would you want to take any engine (350 in this case) and make it smaller?? Only reason to build a smaller engine is if your racing in a class with a cubic inch rule. IMO you ought to be looking to go bigger (like 383) with a 350 block. Bigger displacement = bigger power.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm definitely familiar with the statement "no replacement for displacement" but I had heard of people doing the 350 -> 327 conversions before so I figured they had a good reason to do so. But obviously that reason does me no good! Haha thanks guys. Oh...this may be a stupid question but would the distributor off the 307 work on a 350? Or would I be better off getting a new hei?

·
Registered
422 Posts
307's could also come with a 993 casting head. Not a great head, but as far as the smogger heads go, one of the most sought after.
They also had a 336 and 336x head, which I haven't personally put on a flow bench, but I've heard good things about (good things being a relative term when talking about smog era, stock heads).
As another posted said, they commonly came with 185's, and those aren't worth much.
I'd still pick it up though, the blocks are harder to come by lately, and I see you are in a western state (WY, or MT?) and some of the local dirt tracks are Wissota Sanctioned. The 307 is still a viable option for the guys running Wissota midwest mods (the 305 just can't compete), so you should be able to sell it pretty easily. If you were over this way, I'd certainly take it off your hands and be happy to do it.

·
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"
1,137 Posts
307 is only good if you are concern of getting better gas milage. The heads, cam, timing chain, dis., harmonic balancer, intake manifold, and carb. are all garbage. :nono:
If you find a 350 bare block, then you use the crank and rods, just get 327 piston, then your OK.

·
Registered
422 Posts
lg1969 said:
307 is only good if you are concern of getting better gas milage. The heads, cam, timing chain, dis., harmonic balancer, intake manifold, and carb. are all garbage. :nono:
If you find a 350 bare block, then you use the crank and rods, just get 327 piston, then your OK.
Spoken like a total noob that has no idea........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.