Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howzit goin! 1st post...from huntsville, AL. I recently purchased a 1970 chevy c-10 truck. 3 spd trans, 307 V-8, stock exhaust and 2bbl rochester carb.
This sucker runs pretty well (i'm knocking on wood right now) after repairing the vacuum leak, but the problem is that after driving 15-25 miles or so, and if you take the oil filler cap off of the valve cover theres PLENTY of white smoke in there. And same thing on the other side after removing the pcv valve. Whats causing that, and is this something a head rebuild job will take care of(including cleaning out oil ports or passages) and replacing cam and lifters? Or is there something more serious going on down there? id like to get this fixed on a budget.
The valve train is relatively quiet, The oil pressure seems to be good and have not checked cylinder pressure yet. Thanks, Dane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dane,
first you have the worse engine gm ever put on the market 2nd the smoke your getting is the rings are wore out in that old engine . i recomend you find a good 350 to replace it with unless you a dead set on keeping this truck stock. if that be the case it dose not cost much to rebuild the engine but in my opinion you would be much happier spending the money on a 350
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
307 vs 350

Thanks for the reply!
This is probably a dumb question but what makes the 350 that much more awesome than the 307. I'm sure some of it has to do with compression ratio and the availability of more bolt on hi-performance parts. Dane

1 - 3 of 3 Posts