Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which would be better for a street strip motor 20w50 or 30 wt HD? i really dont want to use anything other than petroleum base oils. this engine will be ran hard at times and im using a stock bearing clearance, i dont really know what the clearance is though. and i only use pennzoil.........i like pennzoil

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
you being in ohio i would watch out for the cold weather with thick oil,tend to blow oil filters apart.seen it happen at the track in october. :nono:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just read an article on the right oil to use in this months Street Rodder . 10w30 seems to be the oil of choice.

·
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw
260 Posts
20/50w

How fresh is your motor?I ran 20/50w in my 409,syn tho.Penzoil is on the very bottom of the graph.You should rethink your brand of oil.This comes from a friend of mine that works in the business.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
I ran 5w-30 kendall in last engine when cold outside and 10w-30 kendall when warmer. Also when warmer I put in lucas oil stabilizer.

·
Registered
744 Posts
IMO i would run any name brand 10w-30 unless you are running larger than stock clearances. If its a flat tappet cam run some valvoline synlube oil treatment at 1-2oz per quart to get back the zink and moly.

Try putting some 20w-50 in the freezer overnight and do a pour test, it might change your mind about running thick oils.

Jordon

·
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw
260 Posts
20/50w

I agree that winter temps call for 10/30w ,my 409 used syn 20/50w bearings were checked twice.Car still runs strong.Syn oil also flows better when cold.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if 10w30 is the choice of most wouldnt 30w be better? i heard that 10 being cold and warmer it gets, itgets to 30. is that right? then i heard that all 10w30 doesent make it to 30 maybe only 22 or 25w, that being the benefit of 10w30 over 5w30. but straight 30w is already there. does that make any sense?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nitro_baller4692 said:
you being in ohio i would watch out for the cold weather with thick oil,tend to blow oil filters apart.seen it happen at the track in october. :nono:
it gets pretty miserable here in june,july and especially august not to mention the humidity

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
i was talking about cold weather,if this motor is only run in hot weather 10-30 is just fine as it's not an all out race engine.now if you were going to be running a stock car and 7000rpm's all night that would call for a thicker oil like 20-50.drag engines are different you can and alot do run 5-30 cuz it see's alot of rpm but not for more then 14 seconds i hope,i can't stand though's long races i guess thats why i don't watch the roundy rounds.just takes to long to get a winner.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
10W30 or 10W40 would be your best bet. There is absolutly no reason to run a straight weight oil except for maybe during engine break in. In a tight (freshly rebuilt ) engine 20w50 can actually hurt you more than helping.
i didnt notice where you were from before I replyed but if you are in a cold reigon 20w50 really sucks on a cold morning. We had a car towed in a few years ago with 20W50 on a 0 degree moring. Would not turn fast enough to start.

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
runn141 said:
it gets pretty miserable here in june,july and especially august not to mention the humidity
I've driven through Ohio...........the roads are pretty miserable, that's for sure.

About the oil, as an engine gets older and clearances increase, a thicker oil may help.......I use 10w-40 in my well worn engines....15 years since rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
poncho62 said:
I've driven through Ohio...........the roads are pretty miserable, that's for sure.

About the oil, as an engine gets older and clearances increase, a thicker oil may help.......I use 10w-40 in my well worn engines....15 years since rebuilt.
thats our republican governor for ya about the roads

1 - 18 of 18 Posts