Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ive got a 1997 gmc topkick with a 3116 "puss" in it will a 3306 or 3406 cat engine fit in a top kick or should i just take it to a sale and start over ? I really hate to sale the truck ...i like it ....but ****come on loaded and it's a tri-axle dump to .....it wont pull a greased string out a cat's ***? can a bigger engine fit in it?? :confused:

·
Registered
663 Posts
3116 Cat

a 3126 will bolt right in but tou need the computor and throttle frome the doner, 3306 would probly fit but alot of work what trans ar you useing. also what hp is the 3116 they went to 275 with aftercooler,decent power. cliff

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
How much weight are you hauling? Did you buy the truck new or did you just acquire it?If the engine has not had the overhead ran on it and other regular sevice work it may just need a freshening up.I have one customer with a F 650 Super Cruizer and he has a 3126 B in it.He pulls a 4 horse Pegasus horse trailer with it and those things are heavy empty.But you can swap the engines.Check all the filters and the entire charge air cooler for any leaks.ANY leaks in your intake system will kill a diesels power,also change the fuel filters if it has been a while.The new low sulfer diesel is clogging filers for about the first full tank of fuel.After the first tank is ran through the engines are adapting to it.Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3116"puss

hi my father left it to me last year when he past away ....it has 227,000 mi on the truck but they just overhauled it last yr and i'm hauling most of the time around 22tn with it

·
Registered
973 Posts
I suggest you Either,....
Learn to Live with It,......
Or,...
Buy a Bigger Truck with a Bigger Engine.........

Most all of the TopKicks I've seen are class 7 trucks,+ Shouldn't be hauling 22 Tons anyways.......

Get a class 8 chassised truck......

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
bondo said:
I suggest you Either,....
Learn to Live with It,......
Or,...
Buy a Bigger Truck with a Bigger Engine.........

Most all of the TopKicks I've seen are class 7 trucks,+ Shouldn't be hauling 22 Tons anyways.......

Get a class 8 chassised truck......
Agreed.
Leave the 3116's to school-bus service. :D

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
That is a lot of weight for one.Might look at swapping up to something bigger,like what has been suggested.Getting a bigger engine for it and the labor involved is extensive without the right equipment and a shop labor charge on that will be hefty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.