Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been thinking about trying to build a stroker 302 block with a 312 crank.don't laugh at me as this keeps buging the devil out of me. do you think there is a possibility there?all of my books are to new to tell me the spacings and such on the 312 y block.i know the crank is close.anyone?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
This was done to a 289 back in the mid 60's but it takes a huge amount of machine work and would be very costly.
If you want to stroke a 302, there are a lot of stroker kits out there on the market now for that, and in the long run would be a lot less expensive.

You can find strokers all the way from 317-347 cubes, for the 302.
Common sizes are 3.25 inch, 3.35inch, and 3.40inch stokers.

The 312 crank has a 3.40 inch stroke, wich would give you a 342 cube engine with the stock 4 inch bore. The standard stroker kits of this displacement usually go with a 30 overbore, making a 347.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Low budget

Forty years ago it was a low budget idea. But, today, the machining process would probably cost about half of what the kits sell for, I would imagine. Then finding rods and pistons to work with it might be a challange. I dont recall what rods and pistons they used for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like i said the thought just kept nawing at me and would not go away. now i know thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts