Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be looking for mufflers to go in a 66 Charger. It has a 318 with a mild cam. I haven't had to buy performance exhaust parts for a long time. I will be putting headers down the road.

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
In my experience, there's not a nickel's worth of difference in the lot of them. And don't get carried away with the "huge pipe of the month" club either. What a bunch of tripe. 2 1/4" pipe will be a God's plenty for the little 318. I would pick up a couple of glasspacks, the longest that will fit on the car and intall them with the louver openings facing the motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been running turbo mufflers on my Charger for years and years(yikes! I can truly say that!) and have been very pleased. I think that 2 1/4" pipe will be all you want. I had that size on mine until last summer when my buddy talked me into letting him put 2 1/2" pipes with flowmaster mufflers. I think the car lost some of it's umph, and it sounded like a mustang, so I put turbos back on.

Topher

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran the Sonic Turbos on my 69 mach but that was 15 years ago. I wasn't even sure if they still made them. 'LITTLE'??? You must be a BIG BLOCK guy. Relying on the old pressure check not the Dynos its running around 370hp.Im OK with that.Not sure if it is the original block but it is a 66.THANK YOU for your input.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Pay attention on the engine design issue.It could be a Polyspherical 318,not a LA 318.The valve arrangement is totally different,thus headers could be a problem.Well,being that it is a '66 car it could be a 273 which is also a LA modern SBM.Check the front of the block,left side,just bellow deck gasket.The displacement should be stamped there.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
A 66, if stock would still be the poly 318...I doubt if anyone makes headers for these. IMO, you would be a whole lot further ahead swapping in a big block......383/440

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Dynomax bullets will make that 318 sound like the unholy beast. Got a pair of those on a 93 dakota 2 1/2" pipe and hedman shorties. I know someone with a 66 with that motor and headers for that are a crapshoot unless you can find someone that can weld a set up for you. Only company I know of that makes headers for a 66 charger 318 is flowtech. I believe they have a listing on summit for them.

Found them on summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...924702+4294923429+4294840085+115&autoview=sku

1 - 7 of 7 Posts