Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
I am in the begining stages of planning out my 32 - 3 window coupe build. Three season almost daily driver. I have been looking at a 1985 Mustang GT to get my 302 HO motor, the T5 tranny, and was even thinking about the rear. The coupe has a 106" wheel base, the GT a 100.4". The GT weighs in around 2800 lps. The width of the GT is 69" which is 29" wider than the coupe frame at 40". I will more than likely build my own frame as I want to channel the body.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Dutch

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well to start with....forget everything about how wide and how much the Mustang weighs, totally irrevelant to building the '32. Also as you might know, the '32 has a very unique frame only fitting the '32 as a 28-31 model A frame fits them all ..... Basically. If you're going to channel the body ovey the frame then I guess you could build your own chassis but it WILL look wierd unless you're going for the rat rod look......but to each his own. Before you start I highly suggest doing lots of research on chassis bulding, there are several good books on "How to build a Hot Rod". Good luck with whichever road you choose.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
The engine is a decent base block 302 to start your work on, but there are really better choices if you aren't going to modify it. Be aware that not all '85 Mustangs were equipped with roller cam engines though all '86 and beyond were so equipped. Also, these '85s were throttle body injection, not multi port. Again, '86s ..... A carbed set up would work nicely though. The transmission should work fine for up to ~250-300 Hp. The differential on an '85 is not an 8.8 but the 'puny' 7.5" and really unsuitable for any kind of performance car. Again '86 and up.........:sweat: Then there is the usual poor ratio (2.73) four lug axles, dinky brakes, weak axle bearings that tear up axle shafts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
32 drive train

I would have to disagree about how wide and how much the Mustang weighs is totally irrelevant to building the '32. If both cars weight in at almost the same, then one should expect the same performance as in 0 to 60, etc, . Weight to power ratio is everything. And if both widths are roughly the same, that might alleviate shortening the rear axle.

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
803 Posts
As is a Ford trademark, things can be a bit confusing...

"For 1985, the Mustang GT got new E5AE cylinder heads, a revised Holley four-barrel carburetor, a new and more aggressive roller camshaft (only in models with the manual transmission), less restrictive exhaust manifolds, and a pseudo dual exhaust which brought more power to a conservatively rated 210 hp (157 kW) engine. This would be the last carbureted V8 in the Mustang.

For 1986, Ford released the first multiport fuel-injected 302 cu in (4.9 L) V8, rated at 200 hp (150 kW). With high swirl E6SE heads, the early production High Output EFI engine intake possessed higher compression and dual exhausts."

Source: Ford Mustang (third generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am more of a Chevy guy and by no means an authority on Fords... but I did use an '83 Mustang HO as the donor car for the motor, 4 speed SROD trans and swing pedals assembly for my '27 RPU.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You can disagree all you want, you didn't say anything about 0-60 times with your "almost daily driver", are you going to be racing across the intersection?.....if street racing is your plan then I'm done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grumpy today? No, I never mentioned 0 to 60 times in my first post, but who would want even an "almost daily driver" not to be able to get out of it's own way? I'm nearing 60 and have built a 55 Ford, 56 Buick, 65 Mustang, 68 Camaro, a 442, a GTO and a 47 Ford coupe in my day - but never anything from the ground up. So please don't tell me what you think is totally irrelevant. What is irrelevant to me is your posts on this subject.
Many thanks to Irelands Child & Lake Roadster for their positve comments and help.

Dutch

·
803 Posts
Photo of the swing pedal set-up you can salvage from your '85 Mustang. I made a cowl brace, it attaches to the brace and the firewall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's something else to think about. I don't know how tall you are but I'm roughly 6' 3" and have had a couple deuces, They aren't the roomiest hot rod around. I don't recall exactly how much but if your using a 32 frame and the 302 it will sit back a little and the firewall will have to be recessed. With a Chevy drive train there won't be any need to mess with the firewall.

Attachments

·
803 Posts
Good point Schultz.

I built a '31 Tudor & used an all Chevy drivetrain (350 sbc, 350 turbo, 12 bolt posi) and the '27 RPU using the Ford 5.0 motor / trans. If I had it to do over the '27 would have had a SBC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the imput guys. I've been thining about going chevy also since I've built a few 327's in my day. My original thoughts were to keep it all Ford, but since it's not a resto, what the hay. It'll be glass anyway, simply because it will be chopped and channeled, and I couldn't bring myself to do that to a steel original. This build is a 4 year plan, and it might be my last rodeo as they say.

Dutch

·
More for Less Racer
19,897 Posts
'86-newer Mustang to get the better "World Class" T-5 and stronger 8.8" rear, the '85 and earlier are the weaker T-5 and 7.5" rear axle.

Also, the weight of any year Fox platform V8 Mustang GT is closer to 3350-3400 lbs, the only version even close to 2800 lbs is the 4 cylinder manual trans coupe. I know, I've got several friends with GT's and we've all weighed our cars on an agricultural scale after a bench racing argument about weights, and everyone was amazed that my all steel V-8 '72 Nova was actually 50-100 lbs lighter than their Mid to late 80's GT Stangs.

Even more amazed was the owner of a 383 stroker '79 Monte Carlo, he was even lighter yet at 3220 lbs.

Don't believe what the title says for weight, that is dry weight of a 4 cyl stripper car, so that the manufacturer can get the best deal on shipping prices from trucking and railroad company's.

All of our cars weighed more than the title said.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't recall exactly how much but if your using a 32 frame and the 302 it will sit back a little and the firewall will have to be recessed. With a Chevy drive train there won't be any need to mess with the firewall.
IIFRC, the Ford engine is a little narrower than a SBC, but it's also a couple inches longer

·
Registered
207 Posts
Even more amazed was the owner of a 383 stroker '79 Monte Carlo, he was even lighter yet at 3220 lbs.
That's why I always wanted to build a late-70's Olds Cutlass as a sleeper:
It looks like grandma's car, and yet it's something like 600 pounds lighter than a Trans Am

·
Registered
663 Posts
302 32ford

Here's something else to think about. I don't know how tall you are but I'm roughly 6' 3" and have had a couple deuces, They aren't the roomiest hot rod around. I don't recall exactly how much but if your using a 32 frame and the 302 it will sit back a little and the firewall will have to be recessed. With a Chevy drive train there won't be any need to mess with the firewall.
THE 1 i built a 302 went in with no cutting to the fire wall.i made my own front pulley and removed the fan adaptor ,machined it a bit and pressed on farther,made alt bracket. used a elct fan,and alumn rad. worked fine. made adaptores on a grenada 9in diff for buggy spring with pan hard bar good luck cliff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
68 Vette mill

I am leaning towards a sbc. A buddy has a 327 out of a 68 vette that I'll mate with a T5. Still looking at different rears, and also leaning towards dual parallel leafs. Where I live you have to have fenders, so they'll be coverd up mostly by the bobbed fenders and a rolled rear pan. Really like the ride compared to coil-overs.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
If you're going to create your own frame, I strongly suggest that you add some length to it between the firewall and the radiator so you can use the low-buck, stock cooling arrangement. The last T I built had an additional 15 inches in the frame from the firewall to the front axle so I could use a BB Ford and the stock cooling system from a Continental Mark V. It's just silly to try to use the stock dimensions, then have to pony up for a special cooling system that will fit.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
building a frame

I have a glass 32 roadster body stored up on the top shelf of the Home Depo rack system we have in the shop. I have been thinking about channeling it cuz the 31 chrysler roadster we built back in the 50's We channeled it. But it was uncomfortable to drive . legs stretched out flat. there are a couple 32 style frame builds on the hamb and you can even print out full size the frame side profile match the 32 look from the firewall foreward.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-build-your-own-32-frame-rails.299105/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/building-a-32-style-frame-for-the-rafter-project.305273/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will be leaving some extra at the front end until I get everything set up. The stock I'm using is 2"X4"x16' tube - so there's plenty to work with. But thanks for the "heads up" anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the two frame links. I've seen the first one, but not the other. I actually had an original frame side and top view and the one from Westcot in a PDF file. So converted them to a .dwg CAD file, reworked them to fit a 4" deep rail by following the top curve lines, and printed them out full size. I will be looking at dropping the floor during the channel job so it basically stays the same, just cutting around enough to fit over the rails and not cutting out the whole floor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts