Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I am sure I will get a bunch of crap for this, but let me explain. My coupe is nearing completion (well drivable anyways) and.... No, it definitely will not be a trailer queen. However, I am trying to get it ready to take to the GG West Coast Nations in Pleasanton on the Aug 20th. The problem is the car seats two and the entire family is going with the RV/Trailer and the wife will not drive the truck with the trailer. So... the only option is to put the car in the Toy Hauler and pull it up there. I guess another option would be to have my wife drive the newly painted coupe.... Like I said, the only option is to put it in the trailer and pull it up there.

The trailer is a 2005 Weekend Warrior LE3105 that I have had since new. I tow this 5th wheel with a 2008 F350 PSD. I think the car should tip the scales at approximately 2500lbs. Physically I know the car will fit, but I don't know if the trailer will handle the weight.

With the 108" wheel base, I think only one axle will be on the ramp at a time, but I am not sure. I guess I need to measure the ramp. Then I don't know if the floor will hold this weight safely. With Weekend Warrior being out of business, it makes it difficult to find out for sure if this is a safe combination. Has anyone else done something close? Will these Toy Haulers safely haul a light car?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
speede5 said:
http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/index.html

Can they help? I couldn't find any weight ratings but that should be on the trailer or in the owners manual. Is it wide enough?
It is definitely wide enough. It is what they call a "wide body". The web site you linked is one of many that the manufacture had that now just redirects you to a sales dealership.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Well i do not have a clue as to your particular trailer but having runinto this this is how I would proceed. check the axles for capacity tags..if you have tandem axles and the tags say they are 3500 pound axles then you have a 7000 pound set. the tires can be a clue as if we know what size wheels and tires you have then we have a better idea of the capacity of the trailer. check the floor construction as some of those only have a 3/4 floor which is not good for hauling a car..if that is the case you can lay planks in the way of the tires so the car rests on those planks while in transit..tie downs may need to be modified to provide attachments for your tie downs. ramps need to be reinforced for hauling a car as most of those I have seen are set up for motorcycles and ATV use. Find a set of real scales in your area..lot of gravel pits and truck stops have certified scales that will weigh you trailer and or car..and are happy to help a rodder..

Just some of the info..Safe Journey.

Sam

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that the cargo limit on the trailer is supposed to be 6000lbs. I also found out today that the ramp is supposed to be 2500lbs per axle and is 7ft long. So with the '32's wheel base being 9ft, I am probably good there.

I guess the only thing not sure about now is the floor. I already assumed I would need to add tie downs.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Or, in lieu of plywood, you could lay down a pair of 2 X 16 (or, even 2 X 12) planks, and drive the '32 onto them. The planks will help to distribute the load about as well (maybe even better) than a couple of sheets of plywood. I suggest using planks on the ramp as well. If its a fold down rear door/ramp, imagine how pi***d-off you'd be if you drove off of it at Pleasanton, and heard it crack (fracturing). The planks add lots of stiffness to the arrangement.

Pat

·
No substitute for cubic inches
211 Posts
2 x 12's should distribute the load pretty well on the florr and the ramp. See alot of those out west with dune buggies being unloaded. :nono: Make sure you anchor them somehow to the floor of the trailer screw or nail them down as you would really be po'd when you got where your going and the boards had slid with the car into the side of the trailer :sweat: . :confused: Don't ask how I know this can happen.

Tony

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeah. The planks should be screwed (or otherwise attached) to the floor, and the vehicle needs to be strapped down. You'll need solid tie down points. If you use planks on the ramp, arrange hooks (using angle iron or aluminum) at the top of the planks to prevent them froom sliding down the ramp while you are driving up.

Pat

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
block the ramps

I haul my Case 580 4 X 4 backhoe on My 3 car capacity car hauler. It's ok when loaded but I have to block under the rear of the trailer and in the center of the 8 ft ramps when loading and unloading with chunks of railroad ties and 2 X 12's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.