Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a 32 roadster and have installed 39 Ford tailights. Should I be concerned about the fact the tailights have a flat mounting surface while the mounting surface on the 32 has a slight crown to it. It looks like the rubber pad under the tailight covers up the mismatch. Curious what others might have done.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:welcome: WELCOME to Hotrodders.com :welcome:

As a Moderator here and a fellow 1932 Ford owner ... I want to be the first to WELCOME you ... :thumbup:

Yes, the rubber gasket will make it any differences there is between the panel and the tail light body.

On my roadster ... which had the tail lights installed back when the 38/39 Ford tail light were almost new ... the lights are a little further out, close to the body edge than a lot of folks install them. This was more of a southern California thing back then ... electric drills were not as common as they are today and the location of my tail lights uses a access hole in the double wall lip of the lower panel.

If your 32 has a rumble seat instead of a truck ... the 39 tail lights will interfere with the lid going down and the tail lights will need to be modified ... this is how mine are ...

The tail light plugs in to the side of the tail light housing ( like a later model car ) ... which is nice ... because you do not have to remove the glass lens and retainer to change the bulb. It makes the process a LOT easier and quicker.

Again WELCOME ...

Deuce ... Moderator

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Others to consider is the round '50 Pontiac or the '41 Chevy - though the '39 seems to really go with the Deuce.

There is a '50 Pontiac LED style that only needs two 3/16 and one 1/2" holes.

If you get any Vintique after market units, change out the light sockets to good US pieces. The Vintiques have cheap Chinese units and can go to ground. This is what happened to me when checking if they worked.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/vintique-tailight-problem-98098.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you to Deuce and Irelands child

Just want to say thanks for both of your comments to my question.
I am new to this site but I have been reading allot of the questions and comments for the last month or so, have found this to be the most informative site of the four I visit.
Regards :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts