Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting a 32 pickup that is a fiberglass body steel bed. The cab has been lengthened 6" and widened 6". It is a non completed project with a lot of work done. Sitting on frame suspension complete but steering not completed. needs wiring brake lines door internals windshield frame paint etc. has a 91 Corvette smb with auto transmission. The current problem is how to route the steering rod around the headers and get to the rack on the front end. Built several projects in the past 56 F-100 with SBF, 67 mustang with 91 5.0 5 speed rack and pinon and disc brakes. 81 CJ-7 with 95 bronco 5.0 and 5 speed. 62 MGA with bronco II 2.9 and 5 speed transmission. So not new to challenges but this 32 steering routing has me stumped. Any suggestions or pics would be appreciated. Thanks Duncan

·
Registered
916 Posts
See pictures. This is my set up. Three U joints (one on drivers side of firewall), one Heim joint that threads into bushing welded in frame, two steering shafts (one goes through motor mount), and an EPS from a Saturn Vue connected to a shortened Flamming River steering column. The black steering shaft coming through the firewall telescopes and is from the Saturn Vue along with the rubber boot and the black U joints. The double D / splined U joint on the rack is from Borgeson. They can be a challenge. A lot of thought went into this one. The brake and clutch levers / pedals also go in there but they were not assembled in there for this picture. 10 pounds of s### in a 5 pound bag.

Notice the Shorty Stainless Steel Headers.

Attachments

·
Magazines have “ISSUES”
994 Posts
Here is the way I did it, I took the column out and into the engine bay. This shorten the length of steering linkage, thus removing any flex.

Looking at that set up in you truck, I would guess the linkage is flexing. At the very least I would add another shaft support on the long shaft close to the U joint. and move the other down as close as you can to the lower U joint.

Have a look around this site more ideas.
Hope this helped some ..

Pep

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
See picture. Notice the rack IS rolled. That's an original Mustang II mounting. The brackets on the cross member are such that the mounting bolts are at a 45 degree angle. You'll notice on my set up, the last u-joint hardly flexes because it is nearly a straight shot. I agree with Rip-Tide, you need a heim joint (support) close to the u-joint near your headers. Also shortening the column would help by reducing the angle on the 2 u-joints by lengthening the short shaft in your picture. It is quite easy to shorten.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Get yourself some 3/4" wooden dowel to mock things up. Grind or file the double D to fit into U-joints. It's a lot easier and cheaper than wasting steel steering shaft material.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts