Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i'm new here. got my hands on a 66 impala sport coupe and i'm looking to rebuild the stock 327.
i'm not to knowledgeable with all the technical stuff but i'm learning. I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable gentleman can point me in the right direction as to what i should do for the rebuild. Everything is stock right now except for some long tube headers i add b/c of a crack in the old ram horns. its got the old double hump heads iv'e been reading are pretty good. What should i do for the rebuild, top and bottom end? I want to produce around 375-400 hp nothing too crazy but with some definite pep in its step.

I plan on switching out the old rear end for a posi and probably get the th350 rebuilt also (i have the original pg as well). what rear gearing should i use? As of now it has no take off power.

Thanks fellas.

Attachments

·
True Hotrodder
1,543 Posts
Ahhhh...my first street car. A 1966 Chevrolet Coupe, 327-275hp, PG with a 3.08 rear.

Car was not what you would call a rocket but I tried my best. I love 327's - raced more than a few of them but for that car the best thing I ever did for it was putting in a punched 350 along with a 10" convertor and a 3.55 posi rear. The car was decent for street light racing but only ran high 14's to low 15's at the track. With the 327 combo, the best it ever ran was a high 16. Weight is a huge factor with the car unless you want to get radical.

Since you're talking rebuild, I would still have to say that a crate 350 would be the better deal. Jegs has a decent 350 right now on sale for $1600 that will drop right in and you'll easily spend that amount or close to it on getting the 327 rebuilt.

Figure out how you want to use the car - if it's a cruiser then 3.5 gears in the back and a 11" convertor would probably work pretty good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts