Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine is bone stock 62 FI corvette. Stock pan and stock timing cover. Has the correct one piece pan gasket. Leaks between the pan lip and the bottom of the timing cover. I have verified with powder that the leak is not coming from the crank seal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
Although, you said its a one piece gasket, All the early SB pan gaskets I have seen came with 2 front seals, a thin one and a thick one. Did you put a dab of silicone in the corners?

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
On the old 4-piece pan gaskets, there were 2 different thicknesses of the front rubber piece, and using the thin one where a thick one was required would cause a leak. I don't know if the one-piece gaskets take this into account, but it might be worth investigating.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
You may need to go to a later model oil pan to use the 1 piece gasket because of the thicker gasket required by the older SBC. The gasket sets sold have both the thick and thin gaskets to cover the entire range of motors as Jim Fulco stated.

Trees

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.