Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just trying to track down some information about my engine, and can't seem to ID it so far.
What I do know is that it is engine number 3956618. According to the number this could be 1968-69 302/327 or 350. I have just had my mechanic measure it and he said it is a 20 thou over 327. So thats a start.

Head number 333882 (which apparently is a 1970-80 350/400 head) Would that have come out on it, or has someone swapped it? Large chambers, 76cc, must have really low compression...

Anyway, so how can I find out more information about this engine?

Like is it L30, l79, L74? What was the original horsepower? What would it have come out of? Is the 327 a good engine? I have heard good things about it, and someone said its worth a bit as its fairly rare and sought after.

Any help you guys can give would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think they are very rare. I've had several that were in the cars when I got them. Have you tried tracing the numbers on the front of the block? That may tell you a little more on the history.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To continue what Tubbed 71 wrote; The numbers will be stamped on a pad in front of the right(passenger) head. That as he said will give you much more history ie., type of car/truck, tramsmission, etc.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
What both Tubbed and Bimme said.......the 6618 blocks were used on the 302/327/350 in 2-bolt and 4-bolt versions...except for the 327...2-bolt only. If the block will clean up with a .030 bore then have at it. I would ditch those heads for sure, what do you plan on building this for? mostly street use or full out race only?

Yes, the 327 can be a high rpm engine....BUT remember high rpm COSTS $$$$ and doesn't always equate to friendly street manners. No fun driving around town with a pig until you hit 4000 rpm. Also the numbers on the pad at the right front may be gone if the block was surfaced. Other than your curiosity it really doesn't matter...performance wise. Good luck whichever way you go.....Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys, thanks for that. I probably should have said, I am in NZ, 327 are proly a dime a dozen there, perhaps less came out here? :) We sure have our fair share of 350's tho!

So anyway, I have just found out I need the bottom end done now, the mechanic dropped the sump to change the cam, and my luck of course there was some substantial sized pieces of the piston skirt sittin in the bottom.

Since I have already spent the money on the heads I guess I will have to stick with it. Thinking about getting some domed pistons to up the compression ration a bit, but I am hesitant as it would limit what I can do in the future with the heads. Maybe put up with it for a few years then get some nice aluminium vortecs or something, which I coldn't do if I dome the pistons now. Oh well.

Does this mean with low compression and hardened seats I could run 91 unleadeded on this montor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If 350's are plentiful in NZ, I'd locate a late 80's 4 bolt main and rebuild that instead of the 327. I think you'll be money ahead with a newer block. I'm into 327's also. As a teenager in the late 50's and early 60's they were the hot ticket when they became available. I have a '68 327 30 over in my '65 Malibu SS. I built it 8 years ago and it still sounds healthy. It's a street driver. To old to do anything else. Love the car! You should have no problems running 91 octane unleaded. Might have to adjust your timing slightly. -Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi bimmE,
I just read what you said earlier about engine numbers etc. I think it has been decked or otherwise removed, so I can't trace from that. I had a good look over today, and found a whole series of numbers, but nothing that relates to anything on the web or in my book. Someone else my know what the mean...

371 and 386 are stamped on the end face of the motor??

A3 and DN are stamped on the side..??

And on the top by the engine number is M in a little box and 5 next to it. The M might mean made at Mexico GM?

That, plus the engine and head numbers are all I got. I would really like to know what it started life as, maybe even what in?

Cheers

·
World Famous VF-14
468 Posts
Sorry man, with out the suffix code on the front pad, you will never know what it came from. but check the casting number on the crank and the bore and you will find out what the displacement is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.