Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently picked up a 327 with double hump heads. I was wondering if these engines are rare? It's currently in my racecar. I was told I need to run something else.

·
Registered
15,347 Posts
Not rare back in its day but certainly less common today, after all these engines have been out of production for over 50 years. Pretty much the same for those heads, they went on some early 350’s but the SMOG era and the first oil embargo in the early 1970’s pretty much ended their production line use. At this point the racers have spent 50 some years combing the wrecking yards fo them as well. So original factory camel humps don’t just pop up any more, they’re still out there but you spend more time on the hunt.

Today this is the EBay listings;

One page not all are GM originals. I guess you can make up your mind as to whether they are museum pieces or not.

Bogie

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had no idea that the heads on my '64 Corvette were now worth that much. They are very good heads when pocket ported and that will give an additional ~20 hp, easy.

If you intend to run camel hump heads with headers, you will need some way to mount your alternator. This is the best! I developed these for use with my Corvette when I put a Gilmer belt on it and needed a better mount than the cheap *** Chinese stamped junk out there. Besides, I offer mounts for the right side and they are now extremely hard to find.

Home

And if you watch Street Outlaws, you will see that JJ da Boss/Tricia do very well with their 327 and easily run with cars with engines of twice the displacement.

·
Registered
659 Posts
With the current trend for so many building restomods out of 50’s & 60’s Corvettes w/LS engines the supply of these 327 engines and cylinder heads is still abundant in both 1.94 and 2.02 valves. The 1.94 generally a better choice for regrind and pocket work. Stay away from raced heads. Original unscrewed with examples is what you want. Look for original pressed in studs as generally raced versions were screw in studs.

In fact many are fresh rebuilt and seldom used when they were in the original car when the rest of the car was sacrificed to be restomods.

These days the only person that wants these old heads is somebody doing a Corvette full correct NCRS restoration that does not have a set. Otherwise nothing special. A few of the early 461X heads are difficult to find for the fuelie restorations in good shape. While everything else is pretty available if one seeks them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.