Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience putting a 327 large journal crank into a 350 4 bolt block? From what I understand a large journal 327 crank will fit a 350 block and simply shorten the stroke making the motor into a 327. I was gonna give this a shot seeing as I have a 327 crank and a 4 bolt block but just wanted to see if anyone has anything negative to say about this first. Also would it be better to use the stock 350 heads or find a set of camel hump heads? I dont have the dough to fork out for a set of aluminum heads so thats out. Talk to me people...give me some advice. Thanks, HRS10

·
Registered
144 Posts
Go for it. bore it 30 over,I think that brings it out to be 331 which would be d stroked,but you would have the luxury of a high rpm motor.you cant compare stock 350 heads with camel humps but if you do some basic clean up to the stock heads it will be a improvement and you should get by till you can scrape up some money to up grade in the head department,but using 327 parts does cost a little more than a 350,if your looking for the cheapest route stick with the 350.( wrenchturner )

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a pretty good book on interchangeability of Chevy small block parts called "Chevrolet Small Block V-8 Interchange Manual", copyright 1989 that says many racers think the best stock heads (and camel hump heads were a stock item) was the head casting number 340292, called the "Turbo" head. It was first produced about 1973, and should be on some wrecks in your local Pick 'n Pull yard I would think. Thye stopped producing these heads in 1980, when it was replaced with the Bow-Tie head. The bow-ties casting numbers are 14011034 and came in an aluminum version too, casting number 14011049. I hope this helps you find some good, economically priced decent performance heads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
go for it! a 350 block has exactly the same bore as a a 350, and has four-bolt mains. depending on the casting you can go as big as you can afford (i wouldn't go over .080 if there was any core shift) with the 327 crank you could have a fair sized high wrapping engine fairly cheap. as for the heads it depends if they're from a 283 or 327. if theyr'e from a 283 you will experience a slight boost in compression depending how far you cut the holes. good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts