Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have read that the 327 SBC is narrower than the 350/383 etc, and the exhaust headers might not fit.

Popular HotRodding Magazine, Jan. 2007, p. 76 and p. 84.

I haven't messed with a 327 in years..... so what have I missed? :confused:

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
xntrik said:
Recently I have read that the 327 SBC is narrower than the 350/383 etc, and the exhaust headers might not fit.

That you shouldn't believe everything you read in magazines? Somebody is full of it, unless he was referring to the old MoPar 350 and 383 "B" Blocks in which case the headers aren't going to fit without a torch and a welder. ;)

All production SBC's have the same outside physical dimensions from the 262 through the 400. I don't include the later "LS" Gen III's in that because they are so different and nothing intercahnges besides, I have a hard time thinking of them as a SBC.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
The only way it could be more narrow is if there were fewer degrees separation from one bank to another. Many blocks if you run the numbers are identical for 302, 327, 350 etc (I guess the only thing that's different really are the guts, most specifically the journals). If they were more narrow, enough so to make the exhaust difficult to fit, I would think the intake would be a problem as well. Motor mounts too, I guess.

K

·
Registered
973 Posts
xntrik said:
Actually,.......
Back in 1969 I believe it happened,...
When the 327 was given the Large Bearing Journals,.....
The following year or so, the 350 was Intro'ed,...
Using the Exact Same Casting as the 327 Large Journal Block........

So,....
There's Absolutely No Differences between the Late model 327 Blocks,+ the 350 Blocks.....
Just the Crank,+ Pistons.....

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
I have found a couple of times when replacing a 305 with a 350, that the exhaust manifold bolts would not quite line up the same. Seemed to happen on the back bolt on the passenger side. Would have to lenghthen the rear bolt hole a bit in the manifold.

Other than that, the blocks and heads are the same dimensions.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
xntrik said:

I haven't read that article, but I am wondering if they are referring to the 5.3 (325 LS1 style)? Some will call a (classic) 327 a 5.3 or a 5.4

tom

·
2,252 Posts
machine shop tom said:
I haven't read that article, but I am wondering if they are referring to the 5.3 (325 LS1 style)? Some will call a (classic) 327 a 5.3 or a 5.4

tom

If they are calling the 5.3 a "327" then they should be slapped.............repeatedly........ and by someone who knows how. ;) .

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Hippie said:
If they are calling the 5.3 a "327" then they should be slapped.............repeatedly........ and by someone who knows how. ;) .
The same goes for those that call the 5.7L LS1 a 350...

·
Registered
639 Posts
If a poor ol' 327 (sj or lj) has been decked down to the cam bearings it'll be narrower. Otherwise no go.
A lot of 'experts' here would tell you a 302c has a wider V than a 302w 'cause the tape says so. These people have never heard of deck height or valve angles.
Only a month 'till speedweek.

·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
killerformula said:
The only way it could be more narrow is if there were fewer degrees separation from one bank to another.

K

Geez killer, that's as bad as the guy who was claiming the Cad 472/500 were 75* V engines.

·
2,252 Posts
xntrik said:
FYI

SBC means small block chevy..... :rolleyes:

How the f...... did you guys get on mopar,ford, and Gen3s ?????? :confused:

Probably the same way some "stroke" came up with a 327 being narrower than a 350/383. "The glorious results of a mis-spent youth........." ;)

·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hippie said:
Probably the same way some "stroke" came up with a 327 being narrower than a 350/383. "The glorious results of a mis-spent youth........." ;)

deleted......... naw, I ain't gonna say that......... :D

·
2,252 Posts
xntrik said:
deleted......... naw, I ain't gonna say that......... :D

It's OK, I'm not proud of it but I don't try to hide it, I "experienced" the 70's. :embarrass BUT, having experimented as a youth did have one big advantage. When it came time to talk to my kids about the dangers I knew what the Hell I was talking about and if they ever did it I'd know. I know things are a lot different now but most of the tell tale signs are the same.

·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hippie said:
It's OK, I'm not proud of it but I don't try to hide it, I "experienced" the 70's. :embarrass BUT, having experimented as a youth did have one big advantage. When it came time to talk to my kids about the dangers I knew what the Hell I was talking about and if they ever did it I'd know. I know things are a lot different now but most of the tell tale signs are the same.

Naw, you just think you know what I was going to say.. but you're mistaken.

Good for you Brother, I am proud of you. :thumbup: I wish more experienced adults would actually make heartfelt speeches to young children. It is up to them to save those we can.

You remember the story about the starfish? :thumbup:

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
poncho62 said:
I have found a couple of times when replacing a 305 with a 350, that the exhaust manifold bolts would not quite line up the same. Seemed to happen on the back bolt on the passenger side. Would have to lenghthen the rear bolt hole a bit in the manifold.

Other than that, the blocks and heads are the same dimensions.

The SBC manifolds have a tendancy to "spring" when removed, making one or more bolt holes out of alignment. If you begin placing bolts in the back holes and work to the front, you'll find the front onees will be off. I made some "spreaders" out of a couple of gutted lifters and some 1/2" bolts/nuts to combat this irritating problem. Thread a nut all the way onto a 1/2" bolt, and slide the exposed threads into the gutted lifter body. Then stick it inbetween the end exaughst port on the manifold and the center port, tighten the nut down until theris moderate pressure, and remove the manifold. It holds it in the original shape, and can even be used (carefully) to spread an already deformed manifold back. Be careful, they crack fairly easy as I found out the hard way... :embarrass

·
Registered
639 Posts
Toxic brain depressants may well alter the displacement angle, but most V8s other than a recent volvo run at 90 degrees. Deck height and cyl head configureation can alter width, but for the most part they're all @ 90 degrees.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts