Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilt 327 points distributer, ballist resister, quad carb,stock manifold, # 1 top dead center, 18436572 clockwise will not start( popping,) back acting like timing off I have replaced points,condensor, double checked top dead center checked getting fire, double checked valve clearnace hydralic lifters any suggestions what else could be ,Thanks ,Michael

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done all that several times I set hydralic lifters at zero then 3/4 turn someone said 1/4 to 1/2 is better I am familiar with ignition timing not so much valve timing would the valve timing being off have same symtoms as timing being off I have never heard a motor spin with valve timing off ?? also I know just what you mean it acts like it is 180 out butit isn't if I need to I can pull cover and check mark alignment on cam and crank Thanks ,Michael

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Easier and quicker to pop off the distributor cap, point the rotor at #1, loosen distributor, lift it up, rotate rotor over to #6, bolt her back down, cap on and see if it runs.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

·
jxhinoj
13 Posts
I had the same problem it was 180deg off. Bring #1 up to tdc then pop your distributor cap off if your rotor is pointing to # 6 than it's 180 deg. off. Take your distruberator off and rotate it 180deg. with the rotor facing the number #1 it should turn on. To advance your timming turn the distributor counterclock wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.