Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a chevy 1968 327 with a 87 700r4 trans stock converter the cam im running calls for a 2500+ stall but i have talked to plenty of people and they say that it isnt my problem. what is happening is when i put the car in gear it is stalling, the lock up switch is not hooked up to anything but i was considering maybe the torque converter is stuck in lock up. any sugestions/ideas would be great.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
If the stall is too low you should still be able to keep it running while holding the brake and giving it a little more gas. If not, the TC Lockup clutch may be stuck. The trans isn't supposed to have the flow in 1st gear to lock the TCC/TorqueConverterClutch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your converter is more than likely the problem. I have a 1988 Mustang GT with the 4cyl ans A4LD overdrive. I had the same kinda problem. Everytime I stuck in gear it would stall. I finally figured out to just hit the gas and it would take off. But as soon as you would stop it would do it again. Come to find out, the computer was locking the tranny up. I disconnected the wire to the lockup and problem kinda solved. I still have 4th but no lockup. It's getting converted to a T5 anyways so it doesnt matter. But...your converter is more than likely the problem. Have you tried just hitting the gas when you put it in gear to see if it will actually move?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Maybe you should think "My unlock switch is not hooked up". Normally the brake light switch unlocks the torque converter and should be hooked up. There are other parameters that effect the lock/unlock functions, but hooking up the appropriate wire to your brake light switch should get you going.

Trees

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.